Dedicated servers, why are they in demand?

As we approach the busy fall gaming season a lot is being said of the AAA releases.  One issue that pops up on occasion is that of dedicated servers.

This is most prominently heard right now in the CoD vs. BF3 debate.  EA provides dedicated servers for it's games where as most (am I wrong in saying all?) other developers with games on Xbox leave it to peer to peer setups.  I can understand the desire to have the best online experience possible in regards to lag and playability but at what cost?

I was a big Battlefield and Burnout fan for years but have recently had problems connecting to EA's servers.  I've run the gamut of help suggestions whether it be my firewall, the fact that EA has changed their EA account structure or the fact that they've simply shut servers down but in the end I'm left unable to play games I've paid for.  

So I guess my question is, why would any gamer in their right mind ask a developer to institute dedicated servers if it means at some point they may be unable to play the title online?  Microsoft has structured an accessible and intuitive online environment and gamers are put at a disservice when a developer decides to circumvent this system for their own gain.  Make no mistake about it, it is their own gain that spurns this investment.  Whatever the cost to EA to maintain and run their server bank they more than make it back in advertising to the email address you must provide to even log on to their games and in the ability to shut down a server should they want to usher you on to the newest version of whatever game you are playing.  

I fear this has become more of an attack than I wanted it to but I'd like to hear from other gamers on this as I think it'll become a bigger issue as we head into a era where online and offline becomes a more homogeneous state.  

In the end we are gamers who have paid for a product (and more recently an online pass to play said product) and are entitled to use it in it's intended manner.  EA's default response is that servers are only shut down when less than 1% of the population are still playing but why should a community's size dictate whether or not it's even allowed to exist?  If I enjoy Wartech: Senko No Ronde (and I do... add me if you play) why not leave a P2P environment so that me and the three other people who still enjoy it can continue to do so at no cost to you?  Often as a community grows smaller it also becomes more enjoyable as it's those that are passionate about the title that are left; fire up Blur tonight and tell me the game isn't better off with the community it has now.

Yikes, cliff notes:

Dedicated servers provide more stable gaming but mean you may one day be unable to play the game in question online.

To you, is the improvement in gaming on a dedicated server over a P2P environment worth the trade-off?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ea servers always suck.

For a big, popular game, dedicated servers are important because those are the games people take seriously, as well as the games making millions. COD not having them is a joke. Host migrations, lopsided host advantage, hacked lobbies, etc. All that goes with p2p. P2p is fine for smaller titles...

that like asking why you use a condom before ***.becouse its the best option

Dedicated servers are in demand because the average person on Xbox doesn't have a connection that is strong enough to host other players. If there is no dedicated servers that means you are forced to play on other peoples connection. That's where host advantage comes into play. Also, people can standby and manipulate the connection if they have host, which is extremely annoying. You will be lagging so bad that you can't move while they have no lag whatsoever. This is why everyone would rather play on a dedicated host.

in my opinion, i would rather deal with the dedicated servers being down than with people from around the world lagging my entire multiplayer experience. if the servers are down, thats a reasonable excuse, if some mexican guy lags my entire game, i get pissed because he's probably using some walmart quality internet with his amigos while trash talking me...

Dedicated servers are great, but I'd much rather be able to set my own dedicated server up. That is where the experience of playing on dedicated servers would truly shine in my opinion.

One of main benefits of Dedicated Servers is that companies can update some parts of a multiplayer game without releasing a patch, however DS cost alot of time, money, resource's to maintain.

And once a percentage of the fan base on a game drops. Its not cost effective to keep them running. This is why we have online passes, its not a way for EA to make more money like alot of people think, its to keep servers running and maintain support.

Also the biggest problem with P2P conection is not just a laggy game, but it also makes it alot for users to hack the lobby, COD is the single biggest example.

[quote user="NameMonkey Boy"]

This is why we have online passes, its not a way for EA to make more money like alot of people think, its to keep servers running and maintain support.

[/quote] Keep believing that. Time will tell IMO.

[quote user="Bad Instincts"]

This is why we have online passes, its not a way for EA to make more money like alot of people think, its to keep servers running and maintain support.

[/quote] Keep believing that. Time will tell IMO.

[/quote]

I do believe that. When a retail company like GAME for example sells a pre-owned copy, the developers don't receive anything for that sale. But they still have to maintain support on server's to allow that new owner to be able to access the multi-player aspect of the game. A online pass is a great way for developers to maintain upcoming patches, updates and general support for there games.  

[/quote]

You really think a company like EA needs the money made from online passes to maintain dedicated servers?

Online passes are a way to encourage people to buy new, instead of secondhand, so that EA generates more income for themselves. Nothing more.