DAWNGUARD GLITCHES.

Dawnguard is seriously doing my head in. I spent nearly 3 hours just trying to get the Moth Priest to be my thall. After trying and reloading time after time I eventually got past this part. I'm now stuck on the next part of the mission, where the priest reads the Elder Scroll. He now reads the scroll but when he stops reading, nothing happens. If you try to talk to him it says he is busy. Any ideas or anyone come across this.

Do glitches happen all through the Dawnguard DLC.

I wish I never started playing this, I loved Skyrim bugs and all but this really is too much. Ruins any enjoyment. Do they do NO testing at all pre-release.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

They did plenty of testing, the problem is they did almost 0 actually fixing.  Plenty more bugs that people will find frustrating.  That's really one of the only places in the actual Dawnguard story line quest that I have heard of people having trouble, so, if you can get through it, hopefully you should have smooth sailing.  Might trying clearing your caches and reloading to see if it helps.  Clearing the in game cache has helped me through some hiccup-y spots.  At the Bethesda screen hold LB, RB and X until the Press Start screen shows up.  Worth a shot.

Thanks for the reply, I tried as you said and still the same. I tried getting him to read the scroll a few more times this evening and still the same outcome.

If I bought a physical DLC this would have been taken back to the store, what rights do you have with purchases bought through XBox Live?

When you purchase something from X-Box it tells you right up front there are "No Refunds for this product" but as I was told in the past when my game crashed out. "Start over from scratch and everything will be fine." so when I finally calmed down and did just that, the game so far with it's normal glitchey stuff is still working. A few things still I can complain about but thats just my opinion and we all know what they are like. Everybody has one.

It has been my experience though that when you get a corruption like that, it is embedded deeper in the past. Starting new will do what they have deemed a fix and you should have a better experience. That is, no old saves. Start from New Game and put up with the first 5 minutes of the wagon ride also.

That's what I had to do to fix mine. Trust me! I was not a happy camper.

Start a new game? I've invested nearly 200 hours in my current game. If that was the only option I'll just leave it and move on. Surely that isn't the only work around, if thats the case for all future Bethesda games i'll just wait for the GOTY edition or steer clear.

The problem lies with a lot of the patch fixes not being retroactive.  Most of the patches that fix quests won't necessarily repair a quest you already have active but instead will make it so a new game save "should" not run into the problem that caused yours to corrupt in the first place.  It's for this reason that I believe they have never made any real attempt to patch the Oghma Infinium exploit as it will allow a player with minimal effort to essentially build a character to their original build, or better, in a relatively short amount of time for instances like this.

A question for anyone who has compelted the Dawnguard story. After the moth priest reads the Elder Scroll do you still need him? I attacked him last night when he stopped reading and the text came up to say completed and then started the new quest. My only worry is to carry on playing and finding out I need him in the future. He still stays in the castle but is hostile towards me, plus the vampires attack him if he is in the room.

Hey Vampire Lord here. I had the same issue as you, and on my first time experiencing it I did what you did, hit him in the face and got the quest back on track.

-

However for your question no you don't need him, but he can be used to (highlight the white space for mini spoiler goodies) > turn in the 3 Elderscrolls after you have used them <.

-

Hope this helps. Also you don't encounter this issue when playing for the Dawnguard, or at least I didn't.

Brendson, thanks for the advice. I'm past that part now and no more glitches so far. :)

Good to hear! I wish I was in the same boat, my Moth Priest doesn't want to take my "extra luggage"

I just purchased dawnguard and I cant even start it.  The place it tells me to meet the leader is on a cliff I cant climb.  Infuriating