Dark Souls. JPN Dev + Fantasy Setting, obvious = RPG! Right? No??

Title sarcastically says it all. I've never played the first one, Demons' Souls, so not to sound like a hypocrite... but I am allowed to make my own educated guess and ask a question. That's all I'm doing here. And from the gameplay I've seen of the old and new Souls games, I have to say that it looks like an action/adventure game. Period. I haven't seen any RPG elements at all, which begs the question: Does everyone call it an RPG for the two dumb reasons I sated in the title? And second, anyone here who has actually played the first one can say it is an RPG? Third, if so, please explain.

The biggest selling point of this game for a lot of people, me included, is the fact it is a "JRPG." If it, in fact, isn't, well... That's flat-out  a loss of the game's biggest selling point. and not just a "oops," but a GIANT misconception based off idiocy and confusion.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Yes you are right, sort of in that demon's souls is  more action adventure.  but dark souls you can at least make certain covenants with npc's.   and I don't really know beyond that what Dark souls has to offer for story or choices. I will tuesday.    But hey I don't consider FallOut or boarderlands a RPG either just because it has guns and is technically a FPS.

I don't think there are anymore true RPG's perse but Dragon's Age 2 comes damn close .   oh for your other question DS was designed by from software which is a japanese dev but  they based it more off of western lore and midevil times.  

Im not really understanding what your problem with the game is?

To me demon's souls played much like I would have  imagined  D&D would if it was a video game.  in fact I was just reading a review that said something about being cursed and having to go find a healer and while doing so they had spent to much time in a certain area that caused a boil to form on the characters head and they were unable to wear a helmet.  

I don't know your problem is but DS is going to be freaking amazing.

I also guess if your asking if the game is story driven and choices will affect the outcome of the game I can only answer 1.  there is a story but it does not present itself a lot in demons souls but enough that you get the idea.   I never finished demon's souls so I don't know if there were any choices that affected the outcome of the ending.

If stories and quests are something your after then skyrim is probably going to fit your style of play more.   DS will be nothing like a traditional JRPG at least not in terms of final fantasy, but I still think anyone who likes most "rpg's" should try it out.   personally Demon's Souls became my all time favorite game and I only had about 4 days hands on time to play it.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1196578p1.html - there is IGN's 3rd diary of playing Dark souls   the links for the first and 2nd are right at the start of the article.  

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dark-souls/news/6336629/review-in-progress-dark-souls  another pretty good review

and finally 5 reasons dark souls will eat skyrims face. 

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196353p2.html

[quote user="Big Red Husker"]

Yes you are right, sort of in that demon's souls is  more action adventure.  but dark souls you can at least make certain covenants with npc's.   and I don't really know beyond that what Dark souls has to offer for story or choices. I will tuesday.    But hey I don't consider FallOut or boarderlands a RPG either just because it has guns and is technically a FPS.

I don't think there are anymore true RPG's perse but Dragon's Age 2 comes damn close .   oh for your other question DS was designed by from software which is a japanese dev but  they based it more off of western lore and midevil times.  

To me demon's souls played much like I would have  imagined  D&D would if it was a video game.  in fact I was just reading a review that said something about being cursed and having to go find a healer and while doing so they had spent to much time in a certain area that caused a boil to form on the characters head and they were unable to wear a helmet.  

[/quote]Fallout is a RPG , Borderlands is a FPS with RPG elements.

Fallout is most certainly an RPG. Just because it's combat is FPS influenced doesn't change what the game is. Also claiming there's no true RPGs left but then using DA2 as an example of one is just stunning. I'm not bashing that game at all but to claim it's one of the only rpgs is just ridiculous.

[quote user="Big Red Husker"]

[/quote] A fantasy setting does not make a game an RPG,  Both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are more RPG than Dragon Age. There were just as many Pen and paper RPG's that used guns and technology as there were fantasy ones with swords and magic.

Big Red, I have no problem. I haven't been bashing the game at all. If anything, I was bashing genre confused players. My point of this thread is twofold: It seems that a lot of players call any type of fantasy game an RPG, purely on stigma. and second, like I've said, I haven't seen anything RPG-related to any of the Souls games and am thoroughly convinced it is not an RPG. If it isn't, that's fine, I'm going to play Dark Souls sooner or later anyway and see for myself.

ah ok I get your point now.   yea it doesn't bother me really.   I consider diablo a rpg and it has basically no story whatsoever.    just like music.   I don't have time to go into specific details of genres.   if it sounds like rock it's rock.  if it sounds indie Ill call it alternative.   same with metal, country, rap.   I don't need to know if it's house fusion metal or whatever.  LOL

oh hope you enjoy.  I loved demon's souls.   hope you had a chance to check out those reviews I posted.  or the link to the ign 24 hour live stream that's going on right now.  with dark souls.   ive watched about 5 minutes but decided I didn't want spoilers.     I saw them get killed and then beat a boss and decided that was enough

been watching the IGN live stream for a good hour. dont want to spoil too much for myself, but yeah, seems like a textbook action/adventure. Which stresses my point even more. WHY all the genre confusion, lol?? It just seems like people are just calling it an RPG for no reason. I mean there are people who look out for that sort of thing.