Dark Souls II

Incase any of you missed that announcement and i've probably missed the conversation about it. Anyone excited =D ?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My biggest worry if it will cater to an audience that doesn't appreciate it.

Hmmm, well there's two new guys directing it, apparently saying they will make it more straightforward and accessible to bring in new fans but they also say they will stay true to challenging gameplay n so on. I didn't find Dark Souls as hard as everyone made out it was gonna be but it was defo a challenge at times, so hopefully they can keep that up with a more in game story.

I would rather it was harder and more complex than the first than any easier or simpler.

The game is not intended for idiots who just want to play at it, give it a little go.

Yeah we know that but i hope it's aimed at story to be more accessible rather than going online to learn all of the backdrop to it and relevance.

Hopefully it wont be the end of the franchise we've come to know and love. but from the sound of it. it will be...

QTE's, checkpoints, Hud telling you where to go, constant ingame reminders, a MAP!! Oh god, my mind hurts when thinking just how easily they could stuff the series up catering to the "I wants to play me easy game that lets me win, ma" crowd..

Lets hope not. Demon souls and Dark Souls were the saving grace in this day and age of dunce games..

"Yeah we know that but i hope it's aimed at story to be more accessible rather than going online to learn all of the backdrop to it and relevance".

Plenty of story could be picked up through gameplay and making your own conclusions. While Dark Souls could have changed it, to a degree, it won't stop unobservant people from flocking to the first idiot with a YouTube channel so they can be told how it was, rather than making their own conclusions.

"QTE's, checkpoints, Hud telling you where to go, constant ingame reminders, a MAP!! Oh god, my mind hurts when thinking just how easily they could stuff the series up catering to the "I wants to play me easy game that lets me win, ma" crowd".

I'm not particularly interested in any of those, though a map would be the least offensive. As long as they keep the same perspective, scale and combat style, don't add any of that garbage and retain the same difficulty, or make it harder, we're off to a good start.

"Lets hope not. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were the saving grace in this day and age of dunce games".

I agree entirely. In this case, the community needs to step the hell up and adapt, and give credit where it's due, because games like Dark Souls II need to undo the greed-driven decisions by other developers.

Christ your a barrel of fun. I was talking more about the actual story, yes where some can be learned through the game itself, a lot of the meaning to a lot of things and more of the character stories isn't so readily available in the game itself. I do not in any way want waypoint markers or 'Go here, do this' more story in between wouldn't go a miss though.

[quote user="Scout 015"]

more story in between wouldn't go a miss though.

[/quote]
I'll agree with this, to an extent though. The story elements were a bit lacking granted, but in turn, that adds more to the mystery of the game and made you feel even more lonely in the world. It would be off putting to the ambience the game sets up to have cut scenes and ingame characters talking at you every ten minutes explaining why, who, what and how at every turn.
But like you say, maybe, just maybe.. a little more wouldnt have gone a miss. It's a tough call I'll say that. It's a perfect game in regards to the isolated, on your own feeling it gives with just a brushing of story snippets from NPC's it gives you and in turn gives you a sense of accomplishment when something happens. but would having more NPC chatter and more background story from the off detract from that?
tough call. If I had to choose I would choose the former. I like feeling out of the loop in games and in turn that makes me want to play more to find out. a strange sense of gaming accomplishment and one thats getting harder to find in games of new.
Christ. I feel hacked off that Far Cry 3 and doom 3 BFG has a HUD. I want hard games that sometimes let me be even if it's just gimping the easiest thing on the screen.
I honestly cant say if that comes from playing games for twenty eight years and knowing that games can offer a great experience if done right or just being a plain old cynical sod that hates how these new games just spell it out for you and getting infuriated at how these game developers can over look the most simplest of things!
Again, the former. I think. Well both, if I'm honest...
:P

[quote user="Pyramid Head15"]

My biggest worry if it will cater to an audience that doesn't appreciate it.

[/quote]

Same here. While Dark Souls isn't extremely difficult, it definitely requires patience and skill. I hope they don't turn it into a button masher to make it more accessible. If you play it by mashing buttons, you won't even make it pat the tutorial. Either way, I pray that this game will be great. I love Dark Souls.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I'm still chipping away at Demon's Souls and haven't dug into Dark Souls too much (since I have yet to beat Demon's Souls)...