corrupted profile? 100 bucks to fix?!?!?

So i got a problem with a gamertag on my xbox and specifically gears of war 2. whenever i try to sign in with my brothers gamertag, the epic & microsoft logo comes and goes and right before it hits the title screen, the system freezes. i have to press the off button on the console to restart.   This gamertag has no problem playing any other game. The only problem is with gears of war 2. If i try the same thing on any other gamertag, it works perfectly. its only that specific gamertag. When i'm signed in on MY gamertag, i can go in to the title screen, choose multi-player without any problem. Then when i sign in my brother, it'll freeze. 

I've already:
1) cleared the cache numerous times
2) deleted and restored the problematic gamertag
3) trying the process offline (no internet access/xbox live on the console)

Now i've called xbox support and the guy seemed to not know what to do. he asked me to move my powerbrick to a well ventilated area, remove the hard drive, and other seemingly irrelevant things. he spoke to his team leader, took lots of "notes" (told me that like 4 times) and finally said i would have to turn my xbox in for repair. $99 plus tax. am i foolish in thinking that they have no idea how to fix it and only want to take my money to only tell me in the end that i need to make a new gamertag? Why couldnt they just tell me the gamertags messed up? either way, i got a referral number and am contemplating calling back and asking to talk to someone a little higher up. does the community have any solutions or advice? thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

It's something you'd need to speaking with Epic about since it's their game and not Microsoft's.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey mate, this article should resolve that issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.