Control in RPGs

When you play an RPG and something unexpected or unintended happens that drastically alters the game or story from the path you originally wanted to go, do you load a previous save, or do you press on?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I keep it moving.

depends on what happens and why.

Depends on what happens, when it happened and when I see the affects of what it was. Also depends on if the game is good enough for multiple playthroughs.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]When you play an RPG and something unexpected or unintended happens that drastically alters the game or story from the path you originally wanted to go, do you load a previous save, or do you press on?

[/quote]

My first attempt at any game won’t be perfect so I will press on and just replay the game on a higher difficulty setting at a later time.

If it's not going the way I want I revert back to a previous save.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

how do you mean? like in the story like if a faction or town is attacked, or if you do something so drastic and wrong it turns a faction on you that you were bros with previously. if it's a story element then of course i'm continuing on, unless i haven't completed all the side quests and whatnot yet. if it's something i fubar'd then...it depends on how long it's been since i've saved or how much i've done between saves.

Well, what came to my mind was Tali dying in Mass Effect 2 on my playthrough. She was Shepard's love interest, so it only felt natural to try and keep her alive above all else. I can't remember exactly, but I think she got shot in the face at the collector base.

-

Anyways, I remember her dying and thinking that I would have to start over. Instead, I kept going and eventually it was too far back to go. Now that I'm playing Mass Effect 3, it feels like it made the story and game more deep because it's not the heroic adventure I wanted down to the tee, it's a more deep story with better flawed characters.

Depends on how 'badly' I've changed it.

If my Shepard annihilates Wrex, well, that I'm fixing. If Legion or Samara die, that I'm changing. If I was going for a perfect ending but, say, Grunt dies, I'll leave that as it is. It simply happened.

It's dependent on how strongly I care about it but typically I would try to correct it.

I see. I usually do that when playing fallout, but I feel differently about mass effect.

It really depends on what happens. If its something that adds to the story itself then I might press on and see where it leads me. If its something that affects relationships in a game (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout) in a wholly unrealistic way, from my perspective, then I'll reload a save.

For example, the Landsmeet in Dragon Age. I ended up playing that three times until I got the result that seemed most fitting for the playthrough I was doing. For Garrus's loyalty mission in ME2 I lost count of how many times I played that to find the best fit.