Constructive Ideas for Kinect, Anyone?

So I got to thinking, to broaden the appeal for gamers in more - let's say - smaller play areas, I think Microsoft should release some sort of firmware update to allow Kinect to sport a closer FOV. And with being able to come closer to the screen, developer's can focus on single player experiences where possibly even finger gestures can be identified and allow for finer control.

With that in mind, developer's can also branch into genres like real-time strategies or any mouse-based game interface onto the 360. Much like the Wii's Wii-mote was able to mimic a PC cursor in some of its games, the Kinect may be able to implement a psuedo-touch interface for its own titles (like we are starting to see with Fruit Ninja, but to a greater extent than a mere Arcade title).

Thoughts on this... or anyone with ideas of their own?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Okay, so voice controls might be a good thing, but you gotta be kidding me if you actually think the motion controls are precise/accurate enough to consistently manage an entire map of Halo Wars.  When your units get into trouble and you have to be quick to make things happen, the possible laggy and iffy controls will ruin it.  And this is a question of if...  The RTS will suck.  

The only saving grace is that your opponent will have the same controls.

[quote user="Owen Wilson"]

OMG...  everybody needs to shut up with the RTS games idea.  Kinect will never support an RTS simply because after a while, the user will get tired and go back to the controller.  The next few Kinect fanboys in line will say "I'd use one!"  No you wouldn't...

[/quote]

I'd say this is a fair point .. But look at the people who play dance central for hours on end or people who play kinect adventures... Granted there arent many people who play it for ages..so I can see your point there, but with an rts it would give a whole new feel to the gameplay..instead of just using the same old style ..

Heck with the voice recognition they could even re-release Tom Clancys end war knowing the voice commands will work this time!

I personally wont be touching kinect until star wars comes out and I hear some player reviews on it over the space of a few weeks as stuff to do with kinect the novelty begins to wear off sort of like it does with the wii..

I guess it would really depend on how good the game is. Wouldn't you agree?

For how long? 20 minutes?

[quote user="Owen Wilson"]

OMG...  everybody needs to shut up with the RTS games idea.  Kinect will never support an RTS simply because after a while, the user will get tired and go back to the controller.  The next few Kinect fanboys in line will say "I'd use one!"  No you wouldn't...

[/quote]

I find your lack of faith in a unique gaming experience disturbing. You, sir, don't contribute a thing to this discussion. :|

And I would use the Kinect for an RTS game. Yes, I would...

With Child of Eden as an example, we would say that the distance does depend on the software then, wouldn't we? In either case, thanks for enlightening me on that stuff - I was never really interested in Eden to actually understand the mechanics it introduces.

[quote user="MagpieKing17"]

The voice recognition thing is pretty cool, but my flat isn't big enough for jumping about.

My neighbours wouldn't appreciate it.

But then I doubt the guys who made kinnect even know what a flat looks like.

[/quote]

Well they do except they are called apartments over there and are gigantic...to be honest when they made kinect I didn't think they thought of anywhere apart from America ... Thank goodness for this attachment which makes kinect use 40% less than it needs now ey!

The voice recognition thing is pretty cool, but my flat isn't big enough for jumping about.

My neighbours wouldn't appreciate it.

But then I doubt the guys who made kinnect even know what a flat looks like.

I'm just waiting for a sims game for kinect then you'd be in the game !

But seriously, I think a first person shooter that came with some sort of peripheral built for kinect would be cool I'd definitely get it !

Make some games with a story that aren't entirely kinect focused. I don't know anyone who wants to play the entire game using kinect. So how about instead incorporate kinect in some different ways other than direct gameplay.