Constantly losing HDMI input signal... constantly!

I've never had a problem with the Xbox One HDMI input before until now.

So before, I was using it with a SCART to HDMI converter to record Dreamcast and original Xbox games, since my capture device (Avermedia LGP) is not compatible with the converter... for some unexplained reason.

I therefore output the converted HDMI signal to the Xbox One, and output that to my capture device, as per the norm. However, since only today the Xbox One will no longer locate and keep the signal from the converter.

Whenever I try to use it, it just says my TV signal was lost. But then a few seconds later, the screen will fade black as if it's just found it. BUT, the lost singal error will appear again. Then it disappear.. then reappear and so on in a never ending cycle.

It's like it's detecting the signal but not getting any video/audio, then loses it, then finds it, then loses it etc. It just won't display any video whatsoever. Sometimes when I'm trying to get it working, the image will appear for a second then freeze. If I plug another HDMI source in, the PREVIOUS frozen image will appear instead of the new source, and it'll be zoomed in.

I've tried hooking this up to my PS3, but that didn't work (HDCP on the PS3 maybe), I also tried my HDD media player, that outputted nothing at all. Then I tried my FreeSat box. This kinda worked but the image would freeze and become zoomed in. Tried with the Xbox 360 and this worked flawlessly.

So, I've no idea. I've been using the converter via the Xbox One for some months now without a problem. Now all of a sudden, it's nothing BUT a problem. I just can't get an image at all. I'd hate to throw in the towel with my recent Xbox/Dreamcast playthroughs on YouTube, but if this refuses to work I may have to stop with these two consoles.

Oh, I've also tried different HDMI cables, and since the converter runs on 5V, I tried it with a 5V wall adapter and a 5V USB output... no difference. If I plug the converter directly to my TVs HDMI port it works perfectly.

Does anyone have any help? Any advice? ANYTHING?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 404 Applies to:

Hey, I just posted this in another thread, give this a go.  It worked for me, it might work for you.

I'm having this issue too.  I have an X1 Comcast box.  I got my XB1 back in April.  This issue only started for me after the dashboard update.  

There is no specific "it happens every ____", it just happens.  What I've found to fix it (and this is going to sound dumb, but it's the only thing I've consistently found to work.  Hard resetting the cable box only got me to the "We're setting up your cable box" screen until it freezes again.  Power cycling the XB1 also did not work for me) is to unplug the HDMI cable from the cable box to the XB1 and then plug it in to a different input on the TV and then (this is important) to actually change the input to the input the cable box is in (this is also how I figured out it wasn't my box and it was instead my XB1).  Then, plug the cable back into the XB1, and then switch the input on the TV back to the XB1.   Sometimes it takes a cycle or two of doing that and for the TV to stay on the non-XB1 input for a little bit.  

Not sure why...but it just works that way.

And for the love of god get this fixed.  The troubleshooter did not help at all.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there XBX PureChaosX!

Sorry to hear about the display troubles. Unfortunately converters and capture cards aren't supported, which appear to be causing the issues. Try removing the capture card and plugging your console directly into your display to see if there's any change there.

Because you're using a converter to plug into your Xbox One console's HDMI-in port, this may be the cause for your console not receiving picture. If strictly HDMI devices are working it sounds like the issue boils down to the converter.

SlmJimy311,

Looks like you reached out to us over in this thread as well. Be sure to hit up the Xbox One Update Preview forum as I suggested :)

Sorry this didn't help.

SlmJimy311 - Hmm, sounds like a bit of an odd fix, but if it works... who am I to argue? I'll give it a go once my new converter box arrives. Once it does, I'll see what happens and report back.

Mister Maka - Well, that's the thing. They may not be supported, but I've been using the converter for the past few months without a single problem, either with the converter or the Xbox One. It's been working flawlessly.

Then just the other day, it wouldn't work at all. Many of the other HDMI devices I tried also wouldn't work. The Xbox One just seemed to keep losing the HDMI signal seconds after it found it... then lost it again, and so on. I tried a phone with MHL cable, HDD player, satellite box and an Xbox 360. The 360 worked fine, but nothing else did.

I'm awaiting on a new converter box, though. Once it arrives I'll see if anything as changed.

Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.