Console still "overheating" during gameplay

I'm reaching my breaking point. From the day I bought this game, I've had nothing but problems with it. I had to deal with that crashing during the first mission after the prologue except in my case, my xbox overheats without actually being hot. After the first few updates, I started managing up to, and sometimes a little over, a hour before the overheating, which I could tolerate. But now the problem has returned and I'm lucky if I get half an hour. It's not crashing, otherwise I would try the suggestions in the sticky post. I'm getting the two red rings and it happens even with good ventilation, no dust on the console, and only having been on for a few minutes. I turn it on, go straight into GTA V, and I get the problem without fail.

I love this game. I enjoy the customization, the cars, the clothes, but what's the point if I can't get anything out of it? I bought a new and bigger hard drive just for this game and somehow managed to finish the story, but if I can't resolve this I might as well sell it to contribute to something else.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

spend a few buck on extra cooling, even if you never play GTAV again, you should have extra cooling.  you can get snap on ones made for an xbox , about $20+ ebay they got mini USB desk fan about $5,  got one plugged into back of Xbox, blows air over it and on the back of the TV, extra cooling for both.

It only overheats with GTA5?  Have you tried seeing if it happens with another game?  It could be your console just reaching the end of its life cycle..

Buick350X is right do what he did

Yes, it's only with GTA 5. I've been playing Darksiders 2 lately as well, but I don't get the problem that. Although, Darksiders 2 is downloaded to my hard drive. When I first got GTA 5 and had this problem, even though they said not to, I tried downloading the whole thing, but that didn't help.

And would the extra cooling really help even when GTA 5 doesn't seem to be generating extra heat?

of course, like like a computer, it comes with just enough cooling to last through the warranty. Why first things any person does is add extra cooling to increase life and performance. [ heat kills performance] an xbox is just a fancy computer in a even small package, it needs more cooling.

Man that sucks I wonder if you've got any store bought one's including Nyko ? I mean don't they help ?

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure if you understand. Normally, when it overheats for real, I get the two red rings. But while playing GTA 5, I get the two red rings, but I can't feel any excess heat like if I were to keep my xbox running until it actually overheats or even for a few hours. So, can certain games put extra strain on an xbox? If that's the case, then I can understand the extra cooling. I just don't want to put out the cash unless I'm sure it will help.

If you can't feel the heat coming out that is worrying because it means the heat isn't being dispersed. A build up of heat can damage your console. I would start by making sure that there is plenty of space around your xbox so that all the fans are clear. Having the xbox horizontal will also help keep it cool.

You could have a fan on next to it to help keep it cool or your could buy one that attaches to the outside of the console. As a final option you could think about opening up your xbox and cleaning the dust out and re-applying the thermal paste. There are loads of videos on youtube showing you how to do this, however, it does carry a risk of breaking your xbox if you are not careful, and if it is under warranty it will become void.

Best of luck!  

There is plenty of space around and it is horizontal. I just want to know why it only does this with GTA 5.

Ya never noticed how long it takes to load the game? Its Hugh and intense on the system, it somehow has found your boxes limits. -