Connection question.

So my roommates (which are kinda dicks) use up a ton of the internet connection like to the point where my xbox can barely ever even connect to live. I guess they just leave their computers on 24/7 logged into LoL, WaW ect all kinds of crap who knows what.
I guess its just all the traffic and downloads are clogging the wifi or something.

Any tips you guys could give me to at least get my xbox to connect? Maybe a usb wireless adapter to help pick up strength? I have all 5 bars though. I've tried talking to them about it but they assure me that "you cant use up internet" they are kinda idiots lol. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The only way to fix your problem is to upgrade your internet bandwidth speeds or play your xbox when there aren't a lot of people are using your network at one time.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

Most routers allow you to prioritize one device over all others, might be worth looking into.

Get rid of your room mates...

[quote user="kingvas78"]

[/quote]
If only hahaha. 

[quote user="LOL AT UR SKILL"]

The only way to fix your problem is to upgrade your internet bandwidth speeds or play your xbox when there aren't a lot of people are using your network at one time.

[/quote]

This.

[quote user="kingvas78"]

[/quote]

And this. Or relocate to new room mates.

[quote user="Moshed Brotatoe"]

So my roommates (which are kinda dicks) use up a ton of the internet connection like to the point where my xbox can barely ever even connect to live. I guess they just leave their computers on 24/7 logged into LoL, WaW ect all kinds of crap who knows what.
I guess its just all the traffic and downloads are clogging the wifi or something.

Any tips you guys could give me to at least get my xbox to connect? Maybe a usb wireless adapter to help pick up strength? I have all 5 bars though. I've tried talking to them about it but they assure me that "you cant use up internet" they are kinda idiots lol. 

[/quote]If you are using a router for internet and you have the capability of logging into that router, take a look at QoS (short for Quality of Service) you can give your xbox and xbox live priority when there is a lot of traffic going on.  In short QoS means your services will always have unfettered access to the pipe and your roommates will be slowed down.  

Here is a link that describes basic QoS.  Nice little over view.  You will need to know where to go in your router to worth with QoS so make sure to have the manual for it.  http://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

I dont think theres much you do to increase your speed as the trouble seems to be the internet in America in general(assuming you live here).The average connection speed in the states is 5Mb(not MB,big difference).This is 60 times slower than an average connection in the UK and 200 times slower than Australian average.Our Internet Providers have failed to upgrade the infrastrucure  while overcharging for the services they are failing to provide.Meanwhile theyre raking in billions.