Connecting to HTPC (video freezing and other issues)

So I am attempting to connect to my HTPC with HDMI passthrough and I can get the initial view of the desktop and can even start Windows Media Center and play some movies but invariably the connection will freeze at some point leaving the system seemingly unresponsive but I know that my keyboard/mouse commands are actually affecting my PC so its not the PC issue.  Also, when I click into the WMC it will sometimes shrink to 4:3 screen size from 16:9 for no reason.  If I then exit to desktop the screen will revert back to 16:9 but most of the time this is when the connection freezes and I have to start another app and come back to Windows (TV) later on.

I am hearing reports of people having success with their HTPC rigs so I am curious what types of things you did (I already changed my hdmi cables, removed the av receiver from the setup, tried resetting my tv setup but nothing seems to be helping and the issue keeps coming back)... Using Dell Inspiron 660s, Intel HD 2500 and the computer has been rock solid for all kinds of other stuff for a while now so I know its not it.

Hope someone can give me some ideas!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

I have an identical set-up. It's worked flawlessly in conjunction with my XB360 as an extender.

I haven't seen what you've described, but my setup is working okay (not great, but okay). Here's my set-up:

-Dell 660s running WMC (which was previously direct-connected to the TV and linked to my XB360 as an extender) & wired to my network

-SiliconDust HD Homerun tuner (wired to my network)

-Connected to XB1 (wired to my network) via HDMI passthrough

-OneGuide set to my local OTA channels

-Device set to Dell Media Center PC

Reuslts:

-I was able to fully control my PC via the mouse through the passthrough (watch live tv, use my WMC DVR)

-The edges of the screen were cutoff through the XB1 (I had to reduce the screen %).

-Also, I sometimes get a black screen for Live TV through the XB1 for no apparent reason

-I cannot control anything on the PC via the XB1 controller (apparently is all linked through IR)

-Upon turning everything on this morning, my PC never went to sleep last night and my XB1 was stuck on TV mode with audio but no picture (black screen again)

Still needs some work.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So I am actually seeing all of the same things you are now.  I ended up going back to my old setup where XB1 is just a gaming/streaming platform and TV is connected directly from the PC to AVR to TV.  Cant have these issues happening all the time with family simply trying to watch some random television show.  Curious are you seeing better performance lately or still the same issues from a few days ago?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have very similar issues using WMC7.  When I initially start my Xbox one it will say 'No video signal' until I hit the remote to 'wake up' my media center machine. It can take upwards of 2 minutes for the TV to actually display video and it will either show the 'no video signal' or a black screen until the image appears.  This was never an issue when I routed my WMC through my receiver and then to the TV.

On one occasion it also changed the resolution of my WMC to 1024x768 and I ended up turning off the Xbox one and restarting it to get the video back.  I suspect there is some issue when the PC goes into sleep mode. Tonight I'll try messing with those settings in the PC.

Lastly the remote I use to control my MC is not recognized (VRC-1100 or ARC-1100). It's a cheap WMC remote so I'm not totally surprised xBox doesn't know about it. I'll likely have to upgrade to a 'real' Media Center remote.

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem isn't video related, it's with audio I think. I could use some testing to see if it's right.

If no audio is playing the screen won't move. That's why on menu navigation etc the picture "freezes". If you're watching TV or a video it's great but it will stop when exiting a video stream. It's why plugging in a mouse will cause the picture to move, only for second, while it plays the USB device detected sound.

Do those symptoms fit for you guys too?

Sorry this didn't help.