Combat questions

It's been a while since I played Oblivion, so I'm a little rusty.  If I remember correctly, hit location didn't matter in Oblivion; has anyone heard whether or not Skyrim will use a Fallout-style hit point distribution (with crippled limbs, helmet/armor protection, first aid, etc)?  Also, will there be critical hits? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Im 99% sure it does. I can't remember the source but headshots/headhits deal more damage and you can injure limbs. By extension that can probably happen to you too, with potions and spells to fix. And yes, critical hits are confrmed.

i wonder how they're doing that, combat seems to be just as much a cluster-*** as oblivion, with you just waving your sword until the thing in front of it stops moving, only now with two weapons. i suppose there was a headshot or crit in the demo when the player slashed at a bandit and blood sprayed from his still intact neck, but still...hope we see more videos showcasing the combat and some of the smaller nuances of gameplay.

You can still aim your slashes. And they did say shooting someone with an arrow in a limb would affect them differently than a body shot (which to me means cripples)

not very well i think, but what do i know, i've only seen at most a 30 minute controlled demo of the game. for all we know, they could be hiding a vats type combat system. and i forgot about bows, of course there'll be body shots and whatnot

Didn't Oblivion have a head shot system for Archery?

I think it did.

You can zoom and slow down time (focus) with bows. It's a perk (1st and 2nd degree of one perk I think), but I highly doubt a VATS eque feature would be unannounced by now. VATS was a major staple for fallout 3 and was being talked about when the game was just concept art and words to the public.

[quote user="implantedwall14"]

Didn't Oblivion have a head shot system for Archery?

[/quote]

Not really. In Oblivion, you would get a headshot with a sneak bonus and they would still charge you. In my experience only a poisoned arrow with the sneak bonus would put them down.

This time around the bow and arrow is much more lethal. One shot one kill. However, footage I've seen of the AI standing right next to the poor sap on the wrong side of an arrow draws his weapon and then freezes. Doesn't take cover or anything remotely resembling common sense if a fellow bandit was to take an arrow between the eyes.

The fanboys will tell you Alpha build. But we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. I hope we wont be able to skulk around dungeons and pick everybody off without any resistance.

I just remember that when I was playing Oblivion, even if I was level 42, if I sunk an arrow into a cranium, it was an instant kill.

I highly doubt it. I'll go with the fanboys on that one. It would be a huge butter-fingered *** up if that were the case. In the full game I'm sure he would become alert of your prescence but not attack because he can't see you like in Fallout 3&NV, (a fallout-esque undetected, caution, danger sneak system was confirmed)