Colossal waste of time with TV setup - Comcast service

Holy cow what a nightmare today. Tried for a couple hours to set up TV. We have Comcast/Xfinity and have a good HDMI cable.  During setup, got to the screen where the console senses the cable box fine, but the picture will not load at all. Bypassed that and the went through a couple other steps - console can control the TV and the cable box fine, but still no picture under any circumstances. Also, the menu is missing a bunch of channels. 

Called into the call center and talked with a nice lady for 40 mins but got nowhere. She eventually told me that it might be the cable box settings, but had no specifics of any kind. Huge waste of time. Been through the help screens here and no luck.  

Beyond frustrating. Anybody got any ideas with this? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 96 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hold the power button on the console for 10 seconds until it shuts off then unplug the console. Wait 30 seconds then plug the console back in, power it back up and see if that fixed it. Power cycling the Xbox One seems to work very well for most users.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response…..this did not work. Also tried a new HDMI cable and it did not work. The console can sense and control the cable box….but the channels are way off and I cannot get a picture at all. Just a black screen.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have comcast/xfinity and everything is working fine. Have you connected the cable box directly to your tv via the hdmi cable to verify a signal is there? I can recall an earlier comcast box that did not use hdmi as default, you had to enable this in the cable box setup. I believe it was a Scientific Atlanta HD receiver. To get into the setup you had hold down front panel buttons during the power up sequence. If you do not get a signal I would google your cable box model and look for additional information. As for the missing channels, the OneGuide can be configured to not show SD channels that have HD equivalents, are these the missing channels?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also can't get my Comcast box to work. All it shows is blank screen and on cable box it repeats something that looks like "du1" I don't know what that means or au1 or something.

Sorry this didn't help.

Everything I Am,

A du1 error is an error from the cable box (STB) saying there is too many pass-through's. Remove any extra hops (especially AVR's (receivers) to double-check) this is the issue.

Cuda,

Go simple: STB hdmi Xbox One hdmi TV. Check to see if that works first. Then include anything else you have and test again. Also, what make/model of STB did Comcast provide to you?

-Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have AVR surround sound whatever. So what do I do?

Sorry this didn't help.

Provide make/model and TV provider please. The du1 error is an HDMI denial for a pass-through. Very few STB's will not allow a signal to be passed through 1 other device to the TV as a relay. I was not sure that these cable boxes were still "in the wild" but I guess there are a few of them. Sorry you got one of these. For a resolution (after you post the requested info please), return the cable box for a different make/model from the cable/sat provider.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh 1 other thing.. I assume (possibly incorrectly) that you are running: Cable Box HDMI Xbox One HDMI TV. Correct?

Sorry this didn't help.

It says interactive digital communications, DCT3416 I, Dual Tuner DVR/ HDTV Capable on left side front and nothing else. It is from Comcast/Xfinity. TV is Sony Bravia HD. The cable box itself works good and don't think it that old surprised it is so rare. Not sure why info was posted if you request a return which I won't do but whatever. Seriously needs to be a fix judging from the numerous issues/complaints on here so I guess I will just wait for one to come if it ever does. I'm disappointed and was looking forward to this feature. Thanks for help though, I know it's not your fault. And also I have the Xbox One HDMI going to the T.V. and the Cable HDMI going to the Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info, Everything I Am. For sure, the info helps a ton. Isolate, test, repeat (it is something that I enjoy doing, and I completely understand others don't).

-

Let's say you buy a $10,000 454 custom built motor, but you keep the stock transmission, gearing, linkage, clutch, etc in the car. What happens? It does not work right. This does not mean the transmission is bad, nor does it mean this custom $10,000 motor is bad. They just don't work well together for some reason.

-

The Motorola box you posted is a device I have been working with for... well this is not my first go with that device for sure. The interesting thing is there is 4 versions of that device (that I know about at the moment), and of that there are 4 different firmware's (think of it like OS that tells the device what to do and how to work) available for that device. Each firmware revision is special and unique, as well as each head-end information loaded in the back-end. I know boring...right? Anyway... For the quick answer, swap out the cable box at Comcast for a different make/model. For a different answer, use the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One between the Xbox and the cable box. For a different answer: Try again after the next update.

-

I know none of the answers above are not the desired result. I don't want that result either. We ARE working with our partners to help resolve the issue quickly, seriously we are. Everything ideally would be 100% plug and play, that is the design we are constantly working towards. Which is the reason for the device specific pages, and why I always ask for make/model and layout. Tracking these devices and how they react to another in/out source is important to finding resolutions for everything.

-

I hope all this helps explains a bit more. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or post back, either is fine. Merry Christmas and Game On!

-Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.