Co-op problem

I'm trying to play Halo CEA Co-op mode with a friend. We can connect with no problems but the game lags massively.

First problem is I'm in Germany and my friend is in Australia. I realise the ping is a problem and wondering if it's simply not possible given the distance and AI being added to the game.

Things we have tried:

*using normal AV cable instead of HDMI in a hope to reduce some internet load. It made little difference.

*connecting with ethernet cable instead of WiFi, again made little difference.

It's no problem on pc to do this for example I can go Co-op with a friend in Sydney and play F1 2011 with 22 AI drivers on the track and the game runs pretty well, ping is high but the game is self works. 

So my question, is the Xbox capable of this kind of connection or is it simple to much for it. Can others connect  in a similar fashion given the distance?

Any help or tips appreciated

Fergy

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I played with a friend who is less than 30km from me and we encountered lag, it's probably game lag rather than internet lag though as I was hosting and got lagged several times too. Nothing can be done about it. Also, just so you know, the type of cable you connect your xbox to your TV with will not alter internet latency. They are unrelated.

It is 100% to do with your internet connection.  Its been confirmed many many many many times.  If both of you dont have really good internet connections you will not be able to play the Halo co-op campaigns online.  There is a LOT going on in those games so it requires a very good connection.  One of you must have a really bad connection for sure.  Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and I bet your results will be very low for at least one of you. Maybe even both of you.  Let me know what you get for download and upload. 

"First problem is I'm in Germany and my friend is in Australia. I realise the ping is a problem and wondering if it's simply not possible given the distance and AI being added to the game".

This is it right here. From Germany to Australia is a huge distance... one of you will have a bad game if you're playing traditional player-to-player games (like Halo Reach or 3's MULTIPLAYER) and if you need to synchronise with the other to play with the AI you'll both have an awful game. There isn't much you can do about it either... the distance is just too great.

"It's no problem on pc to do this for example I can go Co-op with a friend in Sydney and play F1 2011 with 22 AI drivers on the track and the game runs pretty well, ping is high but the game is self works".

My guess as to why that is would be that the game either does not synchronise AI because it runs properly on the Host's end and other players don't see the AI where it really is (or themselves where they really are... they'll be further back from where they seem to be at any point they think about it) or that the other players simply can't tell that they're lagging, which, though it may sound surprising, could very easily be possible. There's very little interaction between the AI and the players, or even the players themselves so you could go without noticing if you weren't paying attention to the times/places in close races.

________

"So my question, is the Xbox capable of this kind of connection or is it simple to much for it. Can others connect  in a similar fashion given the distance?".

It isn't possible due to the distance. Traditional multiplayer games are better than games that involve AI and newer games are much better than older games, so it might soon become possible even though Aus and Germany are the world apart, but at this point you're not going to have any luck.

I hate to be so certain about how it isn't going to happen but I'm pretty damn sure it isn't going to happen. Hopefully you can still enjoy playing with each other in other games or gametypes. One last thing though: if you're having a great, lag-free game playing something with them, they're probably having a crap, laggy game. It's just the way it'll be because of the distance. Same if you have a really laggy one, he might be having a good one. Just take the time to understand how it is for the other person, it really helps.

________

"It is 100% to do with your internet connection".

It is the distance. From Germany to Australia is a ridiculous distance for online gaming and even the top two connections worldwide wouldn't have a good game. Also, connection speed doesn't matter beyond an absolute minimum, though I don't mean to be annoying by saying it. Better connection will give you a better chance of Host, which will in turn help you, but it won't save you from a crap game of Halo on my Host, for example. It is just too far away, although as I did mention, as games continue to come out, they become increasingly playable at an extreme distance.

It's100% not just 100% connection.  The game is just laggy.  I have a more than superb connection and never have problems with other games.  The one game I do have problems with, is Halo.  I've played the game in co-op with multiple people and figured out that whomever is not host, is more laggy.  If I'm host I have no problems.  With that very same person if they're the host, I'm laggy.  Me and one of there people I figured this out with have the same superb connection.   This happens to other people.  The game is laggy number one but other circumstances could be a contributing factor.  

Thanks for some feedback people:)

So looks like there's not much we can do.

@Camaroboys69 I use speedtest.net a lot to check how fast my connection is and I'm getting 15mb download and 1mb  upload and it should be fast enough.

The distance is long I know but it does work with other games on PC. Lets see what the new gen Xbox brings:)

Thanks again

Fergy

"It's100% not just 100% connection.  The game is just laggy.  I have a more than superb connection and never have problems with other games.  The one game I do have problems with, is Halo.  I've played the game in co-op with multiple people and figured out that whomever is not host, is more laggy.  If I'm host I have no problems.  With that very same person if they're the host, I'm laggy.  Me and one of there people I figured this out with have the same superb connection.   This happens to other people.  The game is laggy number one but other circumstances could be a contributing factor".

Other than your revelation that Host has it better than other players in the vast, VAST majority of games, this didn't make any sense.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the game...

Chain my speed is very fast and I have problems only when I'm not the host in Halo.  I've played too many games in my time and Halo CE is the only one I always have a problem with.  It's the game.  Obviously the host has the benefit in most games. Everyone knows this.  It's just more noticeable in this game.

I might get back to you on that when I wake up.

It's getting late.

Anyone who presumes to know for a fact that Halo isn't more laggy in general than other games is a fool.  Ignorant thinking...  50% of my gaming time is spent playing co-op on multiple games with people all across the world.  Halo is the most laggy game I have ever played.

I have to back Thookins up here, I have a great connection, but there are parts of Halo CEA that lag when playing co-op over live, and they even lag me as the host. I'm trying to remember if those areas caused issues when playing splitscreen. I think there might have been a couple of frame rate skips in certain areas.