Clans are stupid...

I personally don't like them, they seem over-rated to me; like they all have a "MY CL4N COULD B3A7 Y0U2 CL4N!!!!1!!!!111!!" mind set.  Not to mention as far as I can tell the majority of them have a 18 and older restriction, well, in the 'Clan Discussion Forum' anyway.  Anyone think different?  I'd really like to hear what a clans ultimate purpose is.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="TH3 Duddits"]I'd really like to hear what a clans ultimate purpose is.[/quote]Mostly to be a part of a community of like-minded gamers or just to have a team-focused atmosphere.

Maybe think of it as being in a sports team, just with being surrounded with those who you like, think like you, become immersed in the game like a team, and having the freedom of a group that can be created as fast as it can be dissolved.

I don't like dealing with clans, they always try to expect something (generally stupid) out of you.

So basically to make friends and have fun skipping through a meadow of yellow daisies with the sun shining and a curious rainbow that doesn't seem to need moisture to make itself shine!

I was looking for a more realistic answer.  Why would someone need to be in a clan to find "like-minded" individuals to play with?  I mean, I'm not in a clan and when I play games with people on my friends list I can get the same immersion of feeling like I'm on a team.  Why not just play with people on your friends list, that seems a bit more like 'freedom' than being in a clan.

[quote user="TH3 Duddits"]I was looking for a more realistic answer.  Why would someone need to be in a clan to find "like-minded" individuals to play with?  I mean, I'm not in a clan and when I play games with people on my friends list I can get the same immersion of feeling like I'm on a team.  Why not just play with people on your friends list, that seems a bit more like 'freedom' than being in a clan.[/quote]My answer comes from, quote, "experience" of clans. I'm not into clans either, not since the Halo 2 days, even that was for fun. Back when KSI clan was so huge, you could claim to be in KSI and not really be in it and everyone underaged would believe you.

I can understand your side too. I too can get immersed into a game just as easy, alone or on a team. From what I understand, doing all of this stuff you can easily do when not in a clan, as a clan, makes it a "better experience." Basically making the idea of "being in a clan" some kind of superior title.

Ah, so it's just a way for people to make themselves feel like they're a part of something, like they're not JUST gamers, they're 'Clan' gamers, as if being apart of their clan makes other people "Civilians" in some way.

[quote user="TH3 Duddits"]Ah, so it's just a way for people to make themselves feel like they're a part of something, like they're not JUST gamers, they're 'Clan' gamers, as if being apart of their clan makes other people "Civilians" in some way.[/quote]Right. Like being a part of this dedicated community.

To me though, the idea of a "clan" feels devalued compared to how they were years ago. Mostly due to the "clan community" taking it a little too seriously. Nothing wrong with having a community of players or just a small group dedicated to playing in team games or one game, it's just become way too seriously to be taken casually.

The idea of "fun" feels nonexistent in today's clans, which is way we play videogames in the first place, for fun.

Too true.  Clans seem pretty childish when it really gets down to it.

Meeting people. "Clans" are more for competitive gaming and "communities" are for people who just want to socialize and meet people with similar interests (thats how it comes across to me).

You asked earlier "why dont you just play with friends on your friends list?" A lot of these gamers are LOOKING for people to add, and in this state of xbox gaming, it can be hard to find friends. When I started playing in '06 or so, party chat wasnt popular so people talked a lot in game, now all you see are people in parties so its tough to meet new people.

IF YOU WANT TO JOIN MY CLAN YOU MUST DO TRIALS ON MW2 NO-SCOPE BATTLE IF U WIN U CAN JOIN THEN U GOTTA CHANGE UR GAMERTAG TO HAVE "X LeGiiTz X" IN THE BEGINNING

^^

This is why I dont bother with clans

[quote user="Domuhnic"]

You asked earlier "why dont you just play with friends on your friends list?" A lot of these gamers are LOOKING for people to add, and in this state of xbox gaming, it can be hard to find friends. When I started playing in '06 or so, party chat wasnt popular so people talked a lot in game, now all you see are people in parties so its tough to meet new people.

[/quote]

More people do use party chat now than back in 07 when I started playing XBL. I barely play COD anymore but when I do I try to play with people on my friends list. A few people who Ive actually met on the forums are pretty neat-o and we actually share the same hobbies outside of gaming