childhood games going downhill?

just wonder if anyone's noticed a lot of franchises are going downhill recently. tony hawk, the sims (console), tekken (only just started to with ttt2), everyone says hitman is but i don't think it is, wwe games were but are starting to pick up again with wwe 13. are developers even trying anymore?

(i put childhood games because i used to play these as a kid, even though i still do now.)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Most cases people just can't let go of the past.

The past was a lot better, anyways I miss the old school Resident Evil games. Those were really fun to play. 

That's subjective. I enjoyed gaming then and I enjoy gaming now. Otherwise my gamerscore would be 0 and recent activity would only show Netflix.

a lot of games they are better but gotten tired, some games have legitimately gotten worse (halo series)

the sims on console I only played sims 2 on ps2.. but on PC it has gotten worse too,  sims 3 had so few objects it was sad sim city is the same and the newest edition will fail with always on DRM.

Franchies that get milked will eventually sour.

-

Developers that try to appeal to the masses will disappoint the original fans.

-

Nostalgia.  

[quote user="US Revenge"]a lot of games they are better but gotten tired[/quote]That's how it is for me.

[quote user="noboundz"]

Franchies that get milked will eventually sour.

-

Developers that try to appeal to the masses will disappoint the original fans.

-

Nostalgia.  

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. It's like devs have never heard the phrase absence makes the heart grow fonder. Look at Halo 4 vs Sly 4. Both franchises that saw their last numbered entries in the last decade, 2007 and 2005 respectively. I like Halo 4 but it probably would have resonated better with me had I not gotten Reach and ODST in between. Sly 4 well it made me feel like I was back in 2002 again as a slightly chubby 10 year old. Halo 4 could have had that same affect on me had I been allowed to miss it. I dunno about you guys but since Halo 3 and Sly 3 I have graduated middle school and high school and am currently about a year or two (depending on me getting myself together) from graduating college. It felt great to sit down for a few hours and feel 10 again with no worries about anything. I wish Halo 4 had done that. I mean the anniversary edition was a great set up for that. Actually had a LAN party with some Chuck E. Cheese pizza on release night. That said I don't wanna see another Sly for at least 3 years same for Halo.

I guess I'm trying to say I wish devs would see that maybe games were better when you got a sequel about every 2-3 years and not every single November, when you couldn't patch away a problem due to not taking your time and making sure it was as perfect as you could get it (mind you patches are great but seriously day one patches are not).

Money clouds their vision.

[quote user="Ascenion"]

I dunno about you guys but since Halo 3 and Sly 3 I have graduated middle school and high school and am currently about a year or two (depending on me getting myself together) from graduating college. It felt great to sit down for a few hours and feel 10 again with no worries about anything. I wish Halo 4 had done that.

[/quote]

That's me as well, and I would agree that I might have enjoyed Halo 4's MP if I had not just spent a year and a half religiously playing Reach. I think console games have too short a life, but I wouldn't know whether to blame developers looking to capitalize with a new installment, or consumers who actually want their favourite games to operate on a CoD schedule.. Assuming there should be any blame at all, of course...  

-

I've also realized the first word of my previous post looks like I'm talking about the French. Oops.

I wish devs just put out brand new IP after brand new IP. That way they could try new stuff without worrying about "moving away from what made the original game good" and every game could be judged on its own merits. Of course, fans would probably start saying "this developer is moving away from what made them a good developer" and thus, the cycle of CODesque appeal would begin anew.