Cherry Picking with the License Transfer

When attempting the license transfer, is it possible to move specific licenses between different systems, or is it an all or nothing situation? I have 2 systems that I use daily, and I use them for diffferent types of gaming. I have some rock band albums that were tied to a failed system, and I would like to get them tied to one of my active systems without disrupting the way I have my other content distributed between my systems. It would be nice for others to be able to play these items without my account being online. Thanks for the feedback. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The license transfer transfers all licenses to the new console.  However, so long as the games that you have on the other console are not moved off of it, they will still be available to all users on that console.  You can redownload any DLC from your download history onto the new console after the license transfer is complete.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a system that will no longer read discs and a new system that will. My wife and I would love to be able to play Borderlands via Xbox Live. I have a GotY copy that we installed on the old console before it ceased reading discs, but I transferred all my licenses to the new console. I've been considering buying the downloadable version for the old system and using the disc version for the new system. So, what you're saying is that as long as I leave the DLC add-ons on the old system, I should be able to redownload them on the new system and continue using them on both? What if I transferred them with the data transfer kit? Can I even pay to redownload them on the old system?

As an added question, is it possible to use MS points that are on your account to purchase content that is listed as being $19.99, or do I have to actually let them charge me for the $19.99?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you've done the license transfer to the new console, you could sign into the account that purchased the content on the old console and redownload the content for free and use it that way. The account that purchased the content can redownload and use the content on any console as long as it is signed into Live. If you were to do the license transfer again to move the content back to the old console, it would basically work the opposite way. All accounts would then have access to the content on the old console, but you would have to sign into the purchasing account on the new console to access the content.

The data transfer kit does not affect licenses. It only moves the data.

Yes you can purchase games on demand that are listed as a cash price with points. When you're at the purchase screen press X to toggle between points and cash. If you purchase on the website you just have to click where it says to purchase with microsoft points.

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like my best bet is to purchase the expansions under my wife's account on the old system and redownload them and leave the existing licenses alone. That way it can be used by anyone on either console.

Thanks for the info on the points/dollars thing. That really helps too.

Sorry this didn't help.