Certain games wont read with hard drive in??

Ive had my xbox for about 2-3 years now.. and very recently it just started not accepted certain games.. I recently re bought Gears of War 2 and it runs the game and then states "Open Tray". So i thought the disc was unreadable so i took it back, and i got the same response. I searched up everything and went to the support and tried everything. It only works if the hard drive is out.. but the doesn't make sense because I'm able to play almost every other game with the hard drive in. So do i need to be a new hard drive or am i able to buy a refurbished one. Or is there a way i can fix this? Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

If everything works great with the HDD out, it very possibly could be it. Try backing up your saves to another device and the reformat the HDD on the console. If this doesn't work, you could call up phone support (support.xbox.com/.../contact-us.aspx) and ask about a replacement/repair on your HDD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It could be the console. I suggest contacting Xbox Support. There's a slight chance that you might need to send your console to them to see if theres a problem with the console itself.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive already read and tryed this.. it says i need a new hard drive.. my friend brought over his old hard drive becaus ehe bought a new xbox and it still didnt read.. is it the console?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this and see if this helps: support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.