Catherine...quite possibly the industries first adult minded game.

I preordered the special edition and played the title on and off yesterday afternoon and evening enjoying the game quite a bit. Sure, other games have gore or what could be called "adult decisions" but there hasnt been a game or at least one that has been released in the US that has framed adult life perfectly like this title does. If that last affirmation doesnt resonate true with you then you simply havent lived...The character is a refreshing 32 yrs old with all the trappings that come with this time in your life: career...commitment, true commitment that is...friends @ different personal stages and ages as well as the ever present temptations a normal fella may face: too many at the local pub coupled with a longer than necessary stare at a hot bird.

The "puzzle/platforming gameplay is perfectly set in the main characters dreams/nightmares because what are dreams but extensions of ones concious problems, right? In these unwaking moments you are even asked moral questions/polls that are displayed against those on live who have answered...a nifty little slice of life regarding others' moral compass with respect to interpersonal relationships. This whole game is playing out like a socratic and freudian lesson wrapped in the shell of an amazing anime!

And the special edition swag is a coplayers kit...nifty nod to fans.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There have been other "adult-minded" videogames in the past, like the classic Sierra graphic adventure games of Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest from the '80's.

I dont mean dirty minded games like LL. PQ though, that WAS a good series of PC titles. But nothing US-wise has touched the surface in the same way  Catherine deals with interpersonal relationship...not just the fornicating but the existential issues asked of the player in this title.

I'd paid no attention to this title, but reading the OP's post & checking the brief description on Gamestop's site, I think I'm gonna pick it up later today, or tomorrow. There's nothing else mildy interesting me at this point, and I want a new game.

By the way, it's a film too...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Another-Take-On-Catherine-Blu-ray/24267/

[quote user="Fullmetal1986"]

There have been other "adult-minded" videogames in the past, like the classic Sierra graphic adventure games of Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest from the '80's.

[/quote]

Sorry for the double post...

While I have no experience with Police Quest, I wouldn't consider Leisure Suit Larry to be anything close to adult minded. It's more of an adolescent minded title with an emphasis on crude, sexual humor. There's absolutely nothing "adult" about it at all, unless you're talking about an adult who hasn't matured past a typical teen-aged mindset.

Your absolutely spot on when it comes to the crudeness of LL titles. I find it refreshing that this game (Catherine) is getting raving reviews from the media as well that way it (hopefully) comes into focus on others' gaming radars much in the same way you zoned in on it OG...be sure to pick it up this weekend if ya can!

[quote user="COTIVITY"]

Your absolutely spot on when it comes to the crudeness of LL titles. I find it refreshing that this game (Catherine) is getting raving reviews from the media as well that way it (hopefully) comes into focus on others' gaming radars much in the same way you zoned in on it OG...be sure to pick it up this weekend if ya can!

[/quote]

If I weren't working until 11pm, I'd be picking it up today. It's nice to see something that's not the cookie-cutter title I'm used to this generation. I'll be getting it tomorrow. 

[quote user="OG Pooh"]I'd paid no attention to this title, but reading the OP's post & checking the brief description on Gamestop's site, I think I'm gonna pick it up later today, or tomorrow. There's nothing else mildy interesting me at this point, and I want a new game.[/quote]

Pretty sure there's a demo up if you want to give it a test drive first.

[quote user="MasonR"]

[quote user="OG Pooh"]I'd paid no attention to this title, but reading the OP's post & checking the brief description on Gamestop's site, I think I'm gonna pick it up later today, or tomorrow. There's nothing else mildy interesting me at this point, and I want a new game.[/quote]

Pretty sure there's a demo up if you want to give it a test drive first.

[/quote]

I began dowloading the demo before I left for work. I'll probably play it when I get home tonight. 

It looks pretty bad to say the least...

I think it's refreshing too. Plus, (I hate to admit it) I love games with romance. It's a good way to escape reality and go somewhere else. I'm close to buying this title, but I have siblings and I don't want them to walk by when there's a 'scene'. The last game I truly got sucked into was Nier (very deep story line, very memorable). I haven't been looking forward to any games (except Insect Armageddon - which I can't find), but Catherine would be a good thing to dive into.