Capture The Flag

I've just recently discovered how brilliant a game this mode is. I've always been a Team Deathmatch kind of guy, it's just what I've been used to I guess. But I gave Capture The Flag a try a week or so ago, and it's really rekindled my love for Black Ops after TDM was becoming stale to me as obviously most games do after playing them for so long.

Capture The Flag is so different though, and there's a genuine sense of wanting to win the game as opposed to merely working for yourself and your k/d. Sure it's nice to get a good k/d in Capture The Flag, but you get the urge to win the match far more I think, and this seems to resonate amongst most of the players as well which is great.

I was just wondering how you guys play this mode, what sorts of strategies do you utilise etc? I'm a real novice as you can tell when it comes to CTF, but I think I'm still a really valuable team member to have. A lot of games I'm in on CTF, the majority of my team will do exactly that - run to capture the flag, while I tend to sit back and defend, simply because I prefer it. I've always been a reserved player, the type who uses Ghost, moves to cover, sits there for a kill or two, then moves to another cover, and repeat, as opposed to running a whole lot. I just prefer to play a tight game, and with their being respawn waiting times in CTF, you're obviously more use to your team alive than dead it goes without saying. What I'm trying to say but seem to be waffling on is that, mostly players seem desperate to capture the enemy flag without thinking of defending our own. I even hear players complain in the lobby that those on the other team were defending their own flag too much which to me is pretty absurd. The way I see it is, is that it's meant to be defended, and to get the flag you should dispose of those defending it first - not necessarily 'should', but you get my point.

Anyway, I'm not sure everyone will read all that, but thanks if you do and feel free to contribute as well! I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts on Capture The Flag - I play Core too by the way.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Some teams do what's called turtle. They will play defensively sending out only 1 guy(or none) to capture the flag. It becomes very difficult for the other team to capture a flag with most of the team guarding the flag. Players get annoyed with this because the game takes longer.

To me though, the longer a game takes, the better. It becomes a grueling battle, and does resemble a war the longer the match takes - with the last minute becoming really tense due to how long the game has lasted and what's at stake! I have very very rarely in my week or so of playing CTF quite a lot came across an opposing team who 'turtle'. There tends to be the opposite strategy in which most rush for the flag, disregarding our own, besides maybe one other apart from myself of course. It's interesting hearing about the different tactics and strategies though.

CTF is not exclusive to FPS games. There are many strategies. In BO, most players like to rush in CTF. I often find only 1 guarding the flag. 4 rushing, 1 guarding seems to be the predominant strategy.

Some players go with the idea that you don't need to defend your flag at all. they can't score if you have their flag. Your flag carrier hides near the base or follows the group as you hunt down their flag carrier and return your flag and score.

The opposite is turtling where you are outmatched and defend you're flag at all costs, hoping for a draw against a better team. Also grabbing the flag if the team can and hide with it.

One thing about alot of people rushing the flag like crazy is to get marathon pro, in hardcore I've been killed many atime by ruthless flag stealing teamates so they can get there perk captures. So I stopped playin it hardcore. But I like to constantly move slowly to the enemy flag using gas and the mask perk so if they chase me it slows them down. When defending a motion sensor comes in real handy

I switched to CTF on WaW and haven't stopped since.  Great gameplay, especially when you have a team.  I do whatever is needed to win don't have a set style.

[quote user="Thomas G Hunter"]

I was just wondering how you guys play this mode, what sorts of strategies do you utilise etc?

[/quote]

Using Stun grenades and Nova Gas is a great way to defend your flag as you can stop the enemy from getting far with it. Stun grenades are useful if you can hit the enemy with it right away and Nova Gas is useful right on top of the flag if you are not certain about when the enemy will rush out; perhaps the gas visually being there will stop the enemy for the 8 seconds it's on for.

You've probably noticed this already but if you've got a claymore, place it near the flag. Many people are trying to go for Marathon Pro and will not be able to see the claymores are easily and will often die to them.

Using the Jammer on either side of the map is a good idea. Jam your flag to obscure where your defenders are and also to stop adjacent tactical insertions. Jam the enemy flag to stop enemy claymores and just being able to block their radar is effective.

If you've got Willy Petes, use them to cover your flag runner. In most maps there's at least one large spot where the flag runners have to sprint across to cap the flag; use the Willy Pete to ensure he gets across. Setting Willy Petes on top of the enemy flag can buy you half a second or so to grab their flag.

Grenade Launcher. Yep, the noobtube, it's undeniably good if you're acting as a defender. You can also blow out enemy defenders and let your teammates take the flag.

Conversely Flak Jacket will often help you as many players choose the claymore as their equipment and there are many defenders using the grenade launcher.

Launchers please. This applies to all game modes, but please take out that air support.

I think I've wrote enough....

CTF is an amazing mode if you have a good, co-operative party. Same with Domination. I haven't played TDM in years. I'm mostly an S&D guy though. I love that you're actually punished for doing stupid tactics and are forced to wait.

Anyways, CTF actually requires a lot of strategy for a respawn-type mode. It's my favourite of that kind.

Completely agree Re: Capture The Flag.  I ONLY played TDM on WaW and MW2 and it used to take me an eternity to rank up only playing TDM as I struggle to get more than 10 kills most of the time.  Since having to play CTF to get the Marathon Pro, i'm absolutely hooked and haven't played TDM for ages.  I love the half hour battles of cat & mouse and regularly comeout with ridiculously big XP after each game, which makes ranking up a hell of a lot easier.  Looking forward to seeing how it is on MW3!  CTF FTW!

Of all the objective games CTF is most frustrating ( if you don't have a team) CTF requires teamwork and the CoD population isn't known for their inherent teamwork mode. If you have ateam of people you play with I'm sure it is very challenging and engaging, you can get a lot more points in the objective games as well. If you don't have a group  you play with get one if this is going to be your new fav.

Black Ops CTF is the best version of CTF since CoD2 imo. I loved the attack and defend aspects of it. You know they're camping the flag, but you have to break down their defense. They know you're camping the flag and you have to fight them off. It was the only game type I liked playing. Thanks for nothing Treyarch and your silly update.