Cant authorize the selected payment option...

On the console this is what I get. "Cant authorize the selected payment option...Please select a different etc etc"

On xbox.com on PC when I try to purchase it says "Sorry...Your purchase cannot be completed at this time. Please try again."

I was trying to purchase Borderlands 2 add on.

My account is in Australia and I connect from Australia.

I recently removed credit card from account and added PayPal option. Billing address etc matches up.

Cleared caches on HDD.

Also logging in to Xbox. com and getting a message that just says..Ooops that wasnt supposed to happen etc etc.. IS a joke. 

I wont be paying $80 a year for the privilege of being hampered and blocked and frustrated for hours on end. I have been trying to purchase this $5 add on (108kb) for two hours, going from console to Paypal to Xbox.com. to google to console to Live.com to email and having to enter codes every time..and the only real solution I could find is an xbox rep saying go to the shop and buy a card with a redeem code..

It is ridiculous and it is VERY frustrating.

I could understand these problems/issues if this was some new start up but this is MICROSOFT.

I hope you can help. When this console finally dies it will be over to Sony for me.

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

You say you added Paypal to your account.  That's fine.  However, is your bank account or a credit card attached to the Paypal account?  One needs to be in order for it to work with the Xbox service.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The Paypal account is linked to a bank account and is activated, verified, confirmed, etc etc. The billing address matches the billing address on my xbox account.

I don't know what more i can do.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, seeing as how this is a billing issue (perhaps the switch didn't get completed properly) you should either check commerce.microsoft.com to ensure that paypal is indeed your main purchasing option now or call support and see if they can delve a little deeper for you.

support.xbox.com/contact-us

Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

I chatted with support and they said everything is OK at their end and that I need to contact Paypal to authorize payments to Xbox. This seems ludicrous and a mockery of the term "on demand". It would be easier if all the "on demand" items were available on a DVD to buy in my local EB store.

Actually that wouldn't work either because for the last few years my console has the ubiquitous "open tray" error and for over a year won't read any disc at all. So it seems that as I can no longer play DVDs or download content I am stuck playing a couple of games that I have purchased previously when I had a credit card.

I am not ranting at you personally BTW just at the system, because the system is flawed. MS, Paypal etc etc.

Once again thanks for taking the time.

Sorry this didn't help.

It could very well be an issue with paypal then.  Why not send an email to their support services requesting more help.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive done that too. Please allow 72 hours for a response.

BRING BACK  THE GOOD OLD DAYS..

:<

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there AAARRRGGGGGHH,

Sorry to hear there's some wait time to hear back from Paypal support. Please let us know how things go with that and we'll be happy to work from there.

In regards to your disc tray being stuck open, have you tried our Disc Drive Troubleshooter for some possible solutions? 

Sorry this didn't help.