Can't use the money in my account?

I don't purchase a lot of content from the marketplace, but I do purchase on a fairly regular basis. The problem is I can't use the money in my account. I'm almost 99% sure it has been this way since the transfer from MS points to local currency. Every time I try to make a purchase with the money in my account, I get a "problem occurred" notification. Sorry, don't know for sure if there's an error code with it or not but I guess I will find out if I need to.

I can still make purchases with the card associated with my account as usual, but I can't purchase with the money already in my account, nor can I apply that money towards a purchase as a split payment method. Any ideas why this would happen or what I can do to get it resolved? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, having the same problem, it was sorted for a while but now back again, I can't use the funds in my Microsoft Account my original call was sent to the advocacy team to resolve. It happened after I added a new credit card to my account, when I removed it the problem went away for a few days, now it's back and I can't use the cash in my account again. Will you let me know if get your problem sorted ?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@ Casper. Now that you mention it, I have also switched credit cards associated with my account. Long story shortened, my wife set up my account a long time ago as a gift, using her credit card and other required info. This was shortly after XBL launched. It never really caused any issues until the MS accounts started getting linked to our GT's and all that awhile back and I just got tired of having her name and info on my GT, so we switched it all over to me.

Anyway, that may be helpful information for those who work at resolving issues like this. Maybe it will help us get the issue resolved. I hate having to call support unless I have no other choice, so I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help. I'll post if I find out anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Blue, ok so the plot thickens, I had a look at my commerce.microsoft.com account and checked my payment methods. My paypal account is there but the Visa card on my account is not. So I removed the credit card through Xbox.com and I thought I would re-add it. It still does not appear under my payment options. So it would seem there is some disconnect between the live accounts on commerce.microsoft.com and xbox.com. It's not a solution but it might get part of the way there. Cheers Casper

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi since the change from Microsoft points to local currency the website has had some issues dealing with purchases and in particular sales and offers.

The best method of purchasing something at the moment is to use you console.

Please note you may be prompted to turn any remaining points into currency when you confirm the transaction.

If it says payment has been taken but nothing downloads you can view purchase history here:

support.xbox.com/.../view-download-history

Sorry this didn't help.

Other issues could be as follows…

Region issue:

Both your region and location must be the same to access certain content and validate downloads or play restricted games etc.

If your location and region are not the same you can amend by following these steps: support.xbox.com/.../change-region

Please note disc based games must be compatible with your consoles region.

Alternatively could be a risk lock:

I could not buy anything online or on console event though all methods valid and enough funds etc.

After contacting support here: support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

t turns out the issue relates to a risk block where by if you buy numerous items in a short time scale or have  suddenly bought something after a long break then the system automatically lock your account to prevent fraud.

To remove the lock please contact support as above and explain the issue.

Be aware it took 5 days for a resolution so please be patient.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

To clarify, have you tried editing and adding payment methods on the commerce site as opposed to Xbox.com to see if that helps? Also, are you sure to try these purchases on the console as opposed to the web site in order to use existing money on your account? Have you also tried clearing your cache and redownloading your profile to see if that could possibly help? Let's give that a shot and see if anything changes. Let us know. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Rush, Yep tried adding a credit card on the commerce site and although it appeared on my account it would not let me assign my credit card to my Xbox Live subscription. It's quite odd. I have done the clearing of the cache and redownloading my profile too and unfortunately no joy. It's a shame I have missed a few deals since not being able to spend the money in my Microsoft account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sticking with us Casper2k6 

What happens when you try to add the membership to your card? Can you check the steps listed under help>managing your account>using a different payment method? Is that the process you've tried already? If so, can you describe what happened exactly?

@Blue Illusion, Any changes or updates to share? We want to make sure you're able to use the account as intended.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Bees, ok so I have added the two credit cards to my account and they appear on my profile when I sign in to the xbox.com web-page. When I click on Manage Payment Options, I see my PayPal account and my two credit cards. The PayPal account is current attached to my Xbox Gold subscription. The only other option on the page is to remove the credit cards, it will not let me assign the credit card to the gold subscription. So I then logged on to commerce.microsoft.com I clicked on Payment options and I see my Microsoft Account Funds, my paypal account and the two credit cards.  I click then on Subscriptions and manage my Xbox Subscription, clicked on Change payment option.... Change the payment option of Prepaid 12M Xbox LIVE Gold from PayPal normally the credit cards would normally appear here for me to change it and the two credit cards are not listed so I can't assign them to my Gold sub. Very odd isnt it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mister Bees: OK, here is some more info. My wife and I only have 1 credit card (each). I suppose I could re-add hers to my account if I really needed to. I've actually never deleted / re-downloaded my profile before. Is it a difficult or lengthy process? Anything I should be wary of, or maybe I could move it to a flash drive before trying it 'just in case'? Oh, and I did try clearing the cache after the first occurrence, but it didn't help.

Also, probably 99% of my transactions (including adding / removing payment methods and etc.) are done via the console. About the only things I do on my computer are the ones I can't do on the console. Although I guess I could even use the console's browser to handle verification e-mails and such, but that just feels less awkward on my computer.

BTW I did just recently get a new phone, so I removed / added a phone # to my security proofs as well. If I understood what I was reading correctly, certain aspects of my account are 'locked down' for a time after a new proof is verified? If so, maybe it's a contributing factor.

Anyway, maybe this can help you come up with a few suggestions of things I can 'try first'. Thanks for the response.

Sorry this didn't help.