Can't Redeem 12M Gold Code!!! HELP!!!

This is ridiculous. No matter what I try, I can't seem to extend my Xbox Live Gold membership, and it's going to expire soon.

Since I haven't been able to extend it either on Xbox.com or through my Xbox 360 console, I decided to buy a prepaid 12-Month Gold code off of Amazon; I enter to correct code on my console, and select "Redeem Now"; the code appears to work, except I get this unbelievably stupid message that says "This payment option can't be used for this purchase. Please select a different payment option or add a new one."

...which makes absolutely no sense! I'm not even using my credit card to purchase this; I'm entering a PRE-PAID code that I already purchased elsewhere!

I try entering the code on Xbox.com, and I more or less get the same result; it recognizes the code as being valid, but when I try to Confirm it, I get an error message. This error message, to specific:

Xbos-0x80169CF9
63a5cd2f-44a7-481c-b4c1-b9fc33c607f5

I've been struggling to renew my Xbox Live Gold for the past week; I can't turn auto-renewal back on for some reason, and no matter what I try, I always get an error message, and I'm running out of time before my membership expires. I'm at the end of my rope, and I need some help, NOW. Please!?!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 204 Applies to:
Answer

Here's what that error code means.

Error 80169cf9 occurs when you try to redeem an Xbox LIVE Gold code

You see the following error code and message when you try to redeem an Xbox LIVE Gold membership prepaid code or token:

80169cf9

The payment option can't be used for this purchase. Please select a different payment option or add a new one.

This error message occurs when you have an active membership but auto renewal is turned off, and the payment instrument that was used to purchase that membership has been removed from your account or is no longer associated with your membership.

Solution

Because the payment instrument has been removed from your current membership, you will not be able to add a prepaid code or token for a membership while your current membership is still active. You must wait until your current membership has ended to redeem the token. Membership tokens do not expire. To find out when your membership will end, sign in to your Xbox account and tap or click Subscriptions to view the end dates for your current memberships and subscriptions.

Related Issues
Xbox error code/status code search Billing support Change your Xbox LIVE account information Add a payment option to your Xbox LIVE account
If that solution does not wotk then i'd suggest contacting support for your region as they are the only ones who can deal with billing issues

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.