Can't purchase MS points

I have already spoken with customer support and they suggested I check these boards... I read the sticky and pasted the questions along with answers below. Hopefully someone can help me out. As far as my issue -- I can't use CC nor PP, I can however use pre-paid cards.

Now for the questions.

What are you trying to purchase? MS Points

What error code or message are you receiving (from the console)? Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option. I get the same message on both the console and PC regardless of the payment option I use. I have contacted my provider and they do not see a transaction (no rejection). I can use my CC and PP on different sites without any issues (I tested them out the same day I tried buying MS points).

What region is your account? US

What region do you physically connect from? Europe (Germany). I do however have the capability to VPN back to the US from my PC. So logging in to the website from a US IP hasn't made a difference.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey there! Connecting through a VPN is not suggested and a violation of our Terms of Use. If you are living in Germany, I recommend creating a new German account. Also, make sure your payment method information matches the information of the Xbox LIVE account (name, address, etc).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@PerfectNazo813, I'll actually answer your question directly... You're not the only one having this problem. There are several threads including the one I just posted. I have tried purchasing points on three different payment methods and from my Windows Phone browser with no luck and on the PC I get the same error you are getting: Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option.

In other words... looks like this is Microsoft's problem. And nobody on the Forums or in Customer Support seem to know how to address it yet. I'll try making the same purchase from my console when I get home.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yea same with me...called support over a week ago was told I would recieve a call back which never came (big surprise not the first time) even when you talk to someone they have no idea what the problem is even after giving them the status code.  *sigh* just wait for it to sort itself out i suppose and drive 20 minutes to buy a card so they can have my money...

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know why they won't address the specific problem here... I've created another thread that shows the conversation between myself and the @XBOXSupport Twitter folks... I just think it's amusing how they point to the financial institution and the customer as the problem even after explaining the situation as clearly as possible AND pointing them in the direction of their very own forums...

forums.xbox.com/.../101945.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a 6 digit error code associate with the problem when you attempt to purchase on the console?  If so, what is it?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll be home in about an hour... I used the same exact credit card to make a purchase of points through Amazon.com, of course the charge went through fine and I have redeemed the points on the XBOX.COM website. When I get home I will try a 400 Point ($4.99) purchase with the same card on the console and see what happens... I'll update later tonight.

Sorry this didn't help.

...well, it's been two weeks and still no fix for this issue. Driving to the store only to find out they don't have any pre-paid cards kind of sucks.

@ Mister Gwyther -- I only tried using a VPN when the customer support agent said it might have something to do with me being in Germany. Heck, I told her I was going to do it and she said I should give it a shot. Nevertheless, all my information matches but I still can't purchase points with a CC or PP.

@onyx62is -- No, no error code. Just the message from above.

@everyone else -- Thanks for information. I figured it was something on Microsoft's side. Oh well.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is happening with me too!!!! Don't even bother changing your credit card- I tried that and it didn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an update on this situation:

According to sources from forums, calls to tech support and calls to my vpn tech support engineers, I have concluded the following:

1.  VPN servers are now being flagged or the latest update allows the 360 to detect VPN.

In switching many VPN services, I found that I may be able to buy points once or for a few hours, but after that, it gets blocked again.

2.  What still works?  You can still use VPN on apps like Youtube, and Netflix.  As long as you are not buying points, you're good.

3.  Strange but true:  If you are on VPN, you can't even USE the points you already have to download DLC.  It works once you get off your VPN and they can determine your location and decide if the content is region locked or not.

This is all I can conclude with 2 weeks worth of investigating.

Hope this helps.

I think it is unfair.  As an American account holder, it should not matter what region I am in.  I've been a member on XBOX Live since the original xbox and I am unable to buy points just because I moved to another country temporarily?  I brought 3 US consoles over with me too.  I have an American console.

MS should lock based on accounts.  Make it harder to get an American or regional account.  My xbox live Gold is about to expire and I can't even renew because of this.

Sorry this didn't help.

@415 - please take a look at the date of the last post in this thread.  It is almost a year old and the issue has more than likely been solved already.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.