Can't play Halo: Combat Evolved

I've searched through the forum topics and suggestions here and elsewhere, and still can't resolve this problem.  I have an Xbox 360 S 4GB, to which I've added an additional 250 GB drive.  I borrowed a copy of the original Halo Combat Evolved because I'm want to work my way though the entire game series.  Placed the disc in the drive and got an error telling me to redownload the game.  Odd, since I was trying to play from the disc.  Did everything suggested in all the forums, but no luck.  Could not install the game on either HD, either.  The native 4GB drive is more or less empty, too, so there's plenty of room there.

So, I paid the $$$ to download the game from Xbox game center/live.  Took a looooong time (I only have a DSL connection).  When finished, still got the same message.  More digging around revealed I might not have an officially licensed 250 GB drive (Microsoft, I love you so much).  Fine.  Transferred the downloaded game/files to the native/4 GB SSD in the Slim.  Cleared the cache (and restarted) before and after the transfer.  Tried to play the game, got the same error message.

Finally, if I truly can't play this game (even though MS says it's supported on my machine, and Live verified this before I downloaded it), is there any way to get my $$$ back?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

The Xbox original titles require an official Microsoft hard drive and will not work with the onboard 4GB flash memory or USB storage. This is because all the emulation files are contained on a partition of the Microsoft hard drives only. The only way to play these games on a 360 is to have an official Microsoft hard drive installed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

*sigh*  

Figures.  Any idea how/if I can get credit for purchasing a game I downloaded but cannot play?

Sorry this didn't help.

You cannot; before you accepted the purchase you were informed there were no refunds and you agreed to that condition.  What you can do is buy an official HDD and then your game will work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an official HDD and the game still says the game couldn't

Start. Try downloading the game again. Then, as well, i have the disc of Halo CE.

Not downloaded at all. I wont risk downloading the game from the marketplace

to end up wasting my money. Please help, I really want to play the game through

the series.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. Basically they just took our money.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, supershrap! This thread is kind of old. If you could, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've already done. This way we can get you the individual support that works best on the forums! :)

Sorry this didn't help.