Can't play GTA: SA even with official HDD

Some weeks ago, I downloaded GTA: SA but couldn't play it because I didn't had an official HDD. Today, I bought one and moved GTA: SA to the HDD, but it prompted me to delete it and download it again. I did so, but it prompted me to do that again. I checked the Issues with Xbox Original games post, but it didn't work.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

How are you sure that your new hard drive is official?  Do you have any other Xbox original games to try?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Because it memory said it had 227 GBs. Unofficial Xbox 360 memories don't let us store more than 40 GBs of memory.

Sorry this didn't help.

Home is on to something I have seen fake drives that look 100% legit looking but a lot of times they are authentic casings but the hard drive inside them are fake. unless you bought it new in a store that sells them or from MS directly (like from their amazon.com page) chances are it is a fake drive sorry.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not fake, as it's shown the Microsoft logo in the settings of the console and surpasses the 40 GBs limit. Before I had the HDD, GTA: SA said to download the game onto an official HDD when I opened the game. Now, I moved the game onto the official HDD and it stopped with that message, but it now shows the message I posted in the first post.

Sorry this didn't help.

The 3rd party drives can have the same capacity of the Microsoft ones - they aren't limited to 40GB and not sure where you got the idea they did. If you are thinking about the 32GB limit, that only applies to USB drives. They will many times look and function identically to official drives with the exception that they do not have the partition with the emulation code on them, meaning original Xbox games will not work on them.  It is probably showing the Microsoft logo because it was cloned from an official drive so will have the proper format for the 360, but still be missing the Xbox emulation partition. It would need that just to be recognized by the 360 and work.

If the drive was not new, did not come in an official Microsoft packaging, or you got it fairly cheap then it is very probable that it is a clone/knock-off. drive. As Homegrown suggested, you should probably try another Xbox game (like on disc) to check it - if that does not work then in all likelihood your drive was not manufactured by Microsoft as you believe.

Sorry this didn't help.

I concur with dlCHIEF58.  The hard drive you bought is most likely fake.  I have not seen an issue where a third party 250GB hard drive shows only 40GB.  Some hard drive's have been known to get damaged in the past by the incorrect use of a transfer cable or an unofficial transfer cable, rendering them with of only 32GB.  This is a different issue to problems that can occur using unofficial Xbox 360 hard drives.

Also, all Xbox 360 internal hard drives whether they are official or not will show 'Microsoft' next to them in the storage devices screen.  So, just because it say's Microsoft on the console or on the packaging does not make it so.  Counterfeiters will go to extraordinary lengths to insure that their nock off goods look like the real thing.

The only way you will be able to play GTA SA is with an official genuine MS hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

SA is a REALLY picky game about that official drive too.  

How to be sure its official?  Make sure you purchase from a known official retailer.  Buying off of auction sites or discount sites might seem like you're saving money, but what you save in money you gain in headache.

I bought all of my 320gb HDDs from the microsoft store.  That way I knew 100% I was getting a legit product

Sorry this didn't help.