Can't play Age of Empires online no matter what I do...

This was the worst PC gaming experience I've had in a long time. I have owned every previous version of Age of Empires that there is. One of the favorite nightly activities of my wife and I, is to play Age of Empires 2 until we pass out. I downloaded Age of Empires online (which took ALL DAY I might add) because it looks great and was supposedly FREE TO PLAY. So I log in, create an XBox Live account and everything. Next I'm being told to enter a product key before I can continue... What happened to it being free to play? Your front page is telling me things like "Click on Join LIVE to play!" and there's no "Join LIVE" button anywhere. I would expect this sort of thing from maybe Nexon or some other freeware company but not Microsoft.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

This Support section is for the Xbox 360, so you may have better luck on the PC gaming side of the forum. http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/default.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually I kind of feel like an idiot now. I think the game wanted me to verify my e-mail before it would let me log in at all, even tho it acted like it was logging in fine and never once told me that I had to verify. Also, I know this is an XBox forum, but this is where the Age of Empires Online site took me so this is where I posted.

If a moderator reads this please delete this thread. I'm not sure how to do it myself or if it is even possible for my to do so. I got the game running fine now and the last thing I want is to be bashing Microsoft for something that was basically my fault to begin with.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.