can't fast travel..need some help

I started the dard brotherhood quests and completed some contracts, but after that i had some bounties in  a couple towns. Now it always tell me I can't rest or fast travel when guards are pursuing me. Is there someway to fix this? Having to travel across Skyrim without fast travel is a pain sometimes. Any ideas?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

dark brotherhood quests*

You just have to get far enough away from the city and the guards and you can fast travel again. Check the compass at the top of your screen. If you don't see any red dots up there you should be able to fast travel. That goes for anywhere across Skyrim.

Yeah I've encountered that before where I had to run for a while to get away. Except this time I am pretty much in the middle of nowhere with no one around and it still tells me the same thing. Gets a little confusing and frustrating.

Are you carrying too much stuff? I can't be positive on this but you may not be able to fast travel if you are over you carrying limit. I don't recall being over the limit myself and trying to fast travel in my game so that's why I'm not sure if you can fast travel while overloaded in Skyrim.

pay your bounties or bride the gaurds

Best way to lose a tail is enter another area.  Go inside a cave, barrow, house, or some other structure.  That will lose any latent pursuit you may have on you.  This only works if you are out of line-of-sight of the pursuers however, don't try this if they are still visible to you (red dot on the compass) as they will just enter the building as well or nab you when you exit.

Seems like you should pay for your crimes.

If your bounty is too high, you won't be able to fast travel at all. I just did the achievement for getting a bounty of 1000 gold in all nine holds and had to hoof my way around the map. After three bounties, everyone was hostile & no matter where i was on the map, I couldn't fast travel. Or catch a coach. Only way to get out of it at this point is to make your way to a big city or settlement that has some guards & pay off your bounty.

Just to point out but the actual Hold is much larger then the City itself. One should look at a Map to see where the Hold ends and another begins. If you have a Bounty in that Hold it will make it difficult to Fast Travel because of the "random" Guards walking about all throughout a Hold (not just the City).

In short, pay it off or walk to the next Hold.

If you just wait for about 5 minutes, the guard will catch up with you wherever you are and you can either pay it off or go to jail. I had this glitch as well, and I was freaking out.