Can't download my game! (Also have problems with the language of the game.)

Hi there,

I have quite a big problem and it just keeps getting worse and worse... I will start off with the beginning of my problem and explain

how I got to my current situation.

I was browsing the xbox Marketplace and saw some incredible deals, games like bioshock, the darkness, call of juarez and Ffallout 3

for quite a low price. (fallout 3 was 4,99 euros)

So I bought some games (The darkness, Call of juarez, DMMM:Elements and fallout 3)

and installed them right away. Everything was fine, most of the games were okay, but the game

I looked the most forward to was fallout 3. (I already owned it on the pc, so I knew how fun it is.)

After trying all the games, I finally wanted to start playing fallout 3 but when I started it up, I noticed the text was French and

after starting a new game I saw that not only the text was French but all dialogs and by that, the whole game was French!

Why the hell would it be French??? After finding out that changing the language was not a game option, I seached on the internet

how I ended up having a French version of the game. I found out that microsoft or the game company has chosen that french was the appropriate

language for my region and that I could only play the French version of the game in my region...

I admit that my country, Belgium, is 38% French, 60% Dutch and even a 2% german, but it isn't mandatory in my country to know all those languages!

I myself am Dutch and I together with lots off people in my country can't speak French that well or have the same degree French as the game to keep up

with the dialog! Its quite unfair that after buying the game, they only offer me it in a language wich isn't even the main language of my country.

I assume that lots of people in France demanded this option for them, but that doesnt mean that all countries near them are supposed to speak that language

to! But okay I thought I could maybe solve this problem (which there shouldn't be) in another way...

So now this is the part were most people are going to say I acted wrong, but I was desperate and I thought maybe this should fix it...

I transfered my account to the UK, not in the xbox local options, but on the site itself... making the Marketplace, the ads and all the rest on my xbox

english and after finding fallout 3 in the Marketplace I finally saw supported in english. (I didn't rant on the word support yet but when I checked it during the first

download, when my acc was still set to Belgium, I thought they meant with support that it was an extra language option after the main language, in this case I

thought english.)

So I started downloading the game from the British Marketplace, I thought that my problem was finally solved and I could finally be able to understand and play the

game which I payed for :)...

but no...I couldn't... because during the download it would randomly resets itself and start downloading the game from zero. :(

I have tried everything: downloading it via the site, downloading it during standby, removing the cache, the file itself and starting all over again, but nothing

worked so far. I'm not able to transfer my account back to Belgium till 3 months has passed and the download keeps reseting itself.

so please, great people who've read whole my post till here, please give me some advice on how to either solve this, be able to get a refund (but knowing most game

industries, the chance me getting my microsoftpoints back is very small...) or just give me some tips.

I thank you for reading this and all the support you've given me!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 139 Applies to:

well two things

most m rated games are language specific

very very few of them are multiple language.

last I checked the nationally supported languages of belguim is dutch and french

that would.be what most of your content languages be in

on your second problem thats easy to fix

read the migration tool description

you cannot download out of region or region locked content outside of its region

so migrating to uk didnt really help as region locked content would still be in the language you purchased it in and it is not garenteed to work because your physical region and account region no longer matches

you can turn off your modem and router for 5mins and delte marketplace cache and system cache and retry downloading again

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@ngocphi that's not strictly true. PEGI 18 (the closest equivalent M ESRB rating) often ships in Europe with multiple languages. Microsoft does tend to have a bad habit of offering it only in one language in Games on Demand though to save download sizes. The Marketplace does highlight this limitation in the Marketplace before you buy so should look out for those.

@Novatros does the download stop within the first 2% or last 2% of the download and then restart? If so this is caused by the region/IP mismatch.

You could search in your favourite search engine for European VPN services to get a UK IP whilst your account is set to the UK. See if that helps your download progress.

Also, delete the a drench version if you haven't already. It could be conflicting. You will be able to re-download from your Download History again if you need to so you won't lose your purchase.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Bazajaytee well I guess the moment when it stops is quite random, but it think its mainly at the end of the download like at 70% or 85% or whatever. I wasn't sure until I filmed the download progress and I just saw from the one second to another that

it turned 70% to 0%, no error messages or anything, it just changes...

but it sometimes go higher then 70, so again I just think it's random.

indeed, I've already deleted the French version of the game but I didn't try to download it from my history, always from the Marketplace. so I'm going to try that but I won't expect much changes :P and maybe I'm going to use a vpn but I don't really trust them as I allow them on my network.

I know I that should want one thing or another but this is still my dad's network and with his job (informatician), I don't want endanger our computers. :D

thank you both for the information so far. ^^

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Novatros!  I'm sorry to hear that the games came in a language you can't play in for sure!  I'm afraid though, that there's not a good way to download games from a region you are not located in currently- that's why you're getting those 70% or 85% errors.  Your best bet will be to keep an eye on the marketplace- especially on Xbox.com, as the overview will tell you what languages any particular game will support. Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem with Dragon Age: Origins, I am from Belgium and I got it in french and then I changed my locale to the UK. Now I can't download it because my download keeps restarting, bought DLC and everything :( pretty stupid

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there poepzweertjeeuh!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already.  This way we can provide support tailored specifically to you.  Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried.  Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.