Can't complete download of Xbox onDemand games

I currently live in China and have a NTSC-J region coded Xbox. My account is set up through Canada, my home and I have been living here for 7 months successfully using this current Xbox that I bought in Hong Kong. It connects to Live every time and I have had zero issues with my service.

I have downloaded many add-ons for Forza Horizon, NBA 2k13 and Assassin's Creed. I have re-downloaded many Live titles (such as Sonic) using my account to have the games on this new Xbox that are on my one at home. I also have bought and successfully downloaded a full game since being here - Madden 13.

However, two games I own I have been unable to download. Neither is region locked and the download finishes 99% every time and then the save file has a yellow exclamation point and the game will not play. I have cleared my cache, formatted my HDD and tried downloading the games multiple times to no avail. I even put my HDD in my friends NTSC Xbox and the same thing happened...

The games are Lego Star Wars 3 and Dirt 2. LSW3 I had on my Xbox in Canada so am attempting to simply re-download the title here.

Dirt 2 I bought a couple weeks ago during the huge Xbox sale for just $4.99, it allowed me to buy the game on my Xbox and therefore should download. For example when I tried to buy NHL 13 this year it immediately popped up that it is not available in this region (good work EA).

I have tried deleting the files from my HDD and re-downloading through the download history tab instead of the marketplace and still nothing works. I don't desperately need these two games, but the simple fact they are so difficult to get has made it more of a challenge for me to try and overcome.

I tried switching my Xbox region to HK and USA and the downloads still corrupted once the download completed. I have a fairly fast internet connection and it takes about 6hrs to download the games on WiFi, I have also tried using the actual Ethernet cord with the same result.

If anyone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it, I spoke with Xbox support and they suggested things I have already tried. I am fairly tech-savvy and because everything else works fine I feel that the reason isn't "because I live in China and Xbox live is unsupported there"

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Actually "because I live in China and Xbox live is unsupported there" is the reason you're running into the issue.

When you're buying the games, you are buying them with a Canadian account so you're seeing games/prices that are available in Canada. And, if you tried to download them while in Canada, they would download.

Since you're in China, the system knows it because you're connected with a Chinese IP. For whatever reason, those games are not available for download in China so you cannot download them there.

You will need to be in a supported region in order to download them. Whenever you have a region mismatch between your account and location you can run into issues like this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Syriel is absolutely correct about this, some titles are not available because of specific regional IP addresses. Microsoft is in agreement with your region and is specifically obligated to not allow  those games to be downloaded in that region. Since you're viewing a Canadian marketplace, you could have purchased the content from their marketplace, but your geographic location will not allow the download.

Sorry this didn't help.

actually lsw3 would be region locked

now if you are using a vpn that will allow the purchsse but not the download

with region locked dlc the region change doesnt allow dor transfer of region locked content most of the time

Sorry this didn't help.