Can't be pure melee.

Not a game breaker or even dampener, games still got 100/100 for me.

But unlike Oblivion this game don't cater for ALL body types. I had a pure heavy melee Orc in Oblivion, nothing ranged at all, everything right in your face and brutal. I don't think you can have that in this game because of DRAGONS!

I mean you can try your best and give it a few whacks if it lands for you but certainly the one I've come across would make you toast if you tried and in fact did, and I had low-level destruction spells too and they didn't do squat. I had to pick up a bow in the end and there was only me and the Dunmer girl left by the time it was done with us.

If you haven't got ranged weapons or ranged spell, you can't win against them can you?

And I doubt very much Bethesda wouldn't have known this and designed this way. Obviously they wanted everyone to mix it up range and melee.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

Oversmithing is cheating and not the focus of this thread.

[/quote]

You can oversmith using potions and smithing gear.  Do your research before calling me a cheater. Also it is part of this thread as we are talking about only using melee weapons.  Thats what I do.

[quote user="AgentOfMYSTERY"]

Don't try and dual wield. Just don't. Really. Just... Don't.

[/quote]

Pair of War Axes with Dual Flurry and Dual Savagery, throw in Elementary Fury for when things get hot, and for when you're really in trouble and you happen to be an Orc then you go all Berserk Rage...

Man, you really ought to try and dual wield. Just do it. Really. Just... do it.

[quote user="Barry The Gibb"]

Everyone else tells me sure you can do it.... easy...! but not the how.

[/quote]
I posted what advice I could, but really there's no magic trick or secret to it. There's no specific technique to beating them except for patience and common sense. You can do it, mate, it'll be hard, but ya can. I believe :D 

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

[/quote]

It's not cheating. It's using basic logic. The in-game tips suggest combining crafting skills to boost each other.

Anyways, playing a melee class in Skyrim is a mistake.

It really is.

Light armour, with proper buffs, will provide max armour protection, at a lower weight. There is no point in putting skill points into the armour trees.

Don't try and dual wield. Just don't. Really. Just... Don't.

Melee combat is much more dangerous and challenging then using magic or stealth. This is due to Skyrim's combat system. Simply block an attack, and then attack when the enemy recoils.

Pause the game every two seconds to chug health potions.

I mean, if you want to play an RPG with incredibly satisfying melee combat, play Dark Souls. Every boss, every enemy can be defeated in melee. Speaking of that, I truly wish that Skyrim had Dark Souls' stamina system, where stamina is consumed in every attack, and every block.

So, tl;dr : Don't play a melee combat class. It's not as fun, nor as well-designed as other combat options.

And btw it's no argument. My initial post was you couldn't play pure melee (clarified to include on MASTER). I've come back months later to admit I was wrong and yes you can.. one way - and I've told you's how that one-way is.

Everyone else tells me sure you can do it.... easy...! but not the how.

And I still maintain it's a difference to Oblivion - any body shape you can run with there from beginning to end, without followers. Not so much in Skyrim, you want to be a heavy-metal warrior, you better bring a friend along until you're all grown up.

[quote user="DarthLama"]

I don't get why we're even having this argument.. if your problem with a 'Pure Melee' build is that you can't fight dragons at low level, I don't get why you don't just wait to complete 'Dragon Rising.'

[/quote]

Man I need the shouts, even with my Lydia and my Priest spells I need something to bring to a fight apart from my mace. Just out the other day looking to find a flawless ruby (I think it was) where I found it with another character (and it wasn't there with this one) I stumbled across Meridians Shrine (I think that's the name - The Dawn Breaker girl). So of course I did her quest.

Now I won't put spoilers in but have you done that quest? Man, that last room - Unrelenting Force was the difference between surviving on about the frigging 10th... 15th... attempt with the slightest sliver of health and failing for the frustratingly last time. I was ready to back-track and leave and come back later... but then of course there's a problem with the door....

And Dragon Priests? A courier turns up in nothing but his underpants with a note for me I'm gonna go find out what scared the pants off him.

And that's just a couple of examples. On Master, you neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed the shouts. So there's no avoiding no Dragons. And I do note (and this happens with each of my three characters), you have a kip at Breezehome and then fast-travel somewhere for your next adventure - 90% of the time there's a Dragon there to meet you.

I barely use ranged attacks.  I've got an ebony sword fully upgraded +1 past max using smithing potions.  I wait for the Dragon to land and I hack the ...... out of it.  Never fails except for the random casting glitch so I wont be able to cast fast heal while im fighting it.  Have to sheath my weapon and pull it back out to make it work again...most of the time resulting in death lol.  But I kinda figured out how it happens so I can keep it from happening most of the time.

Killing a dragon as a pure melee is always going to be a bit more challenging than when you're using a more varied character with a wider range of options. Imagine, if you will, that you lived in Skyrim and that you did indeed fight dragons, which can fly: logic would dictate that you wouldn't just take a sword with you, but a bow as well, because having just a sword would be a major disadvantage in such a fight. That's one of the things about Skyrim, you've got to adjust to problems just like you would in real life.

----------------------------------

As for actually killing them with a pure melee, I agree with the majority here: it can be tough, which I believe is correct, but more than managable. I don't usually play for melee only builds, but review purposes I did use several different builds to try and test as much as I could. Sadly I only put a few hours in as melee only, but in that time I faced off against a few dragons and managed to kill them. In such fights patience really is the key: they do land eventually. If they're not landing, try to move location as that'll sometimes bring them down to earth where you can lay into them. Of course they're aeriel creatures and therefore find it hard to manouver on land, so obviously such a beast isn't going to hang around on the ground too long where it knows it's at a disadvantage and your hacking at its head.

Another thing to think about is that as a melee fighter who would clearly realise he'd have a problem with dragons, it would be wise to simply avoid them unless absolutely required by the game. Ain't no shame in running away to fight another day :D

Definately push through the main storyline so you can unlock a rather helpful shout which ill help even the playing field if you're still struggling to deal with them.

Of course investing some points into the Juggernaut perk is also highly recommended as you're going to need to be able to take punishment.

-----------------------------------

Perhaps consider keeping some scrolls handy as well. They wouldn't really count against you being pure melee and launching a fireball might just be the incentive required to force the dragon to land. Likewise don't forget to carry some elemental resistance potions with you, or consider investing in some new gear that gives you resist bonuses.

-----------------------------------

If all else fails, remember one thing: a true warrior always adapts to the situation at hand, so if you need to pick up a bow to take down that sodding great lizard, then that's what you have to do. :D

There's something extremely awesome about punching a dragon to death, i may just go and try it with my orc