Can't authorize the selected payment option. Please select a different payment option or add a new one.

I tried buying them through the microsoft website, but the awesome security feature kicks in and sends a magical code to my inbox which I never receive.

I tried ordering a pre-paid card online, only to have Microsoft cancel the transaction and refund the money.  Does Microsoft like to advertise points and then refuse to sell them?  

They blamed it on the bank whom I called and they confirmed it was Microsoft who reversed the transaction.

Uh...guys....what business actively refuses it's customers' money?

All information is verbatim with what the bank has on record down to every punctuation mark present and not present.

Wow.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Do you have a credit card on your account? Either way try going to billing.microsoft.com and see if you owe any money hwich might be why your transactions are getting denied.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a credit card and a paypal.  Both are getting "could not authorize".  All payment information matches perfectly.  I ended up buying points on amazon and redeeming them there.  

In addition...the same card was just approved for an Xbox Live renewal 20 days ago.  There is money in the account.

I have deduced that Microsoft does not want me to purchase points from the console for some reason.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey MachineTube6561! We definitely want you to have freedom to purchase whatever you'd like, wherever you'd like! It sounds like you may have had a sort of "soft lock" on your account if you were able to previously make purchases. Often these just need a bit of time, say 24-48 hours and you should be able to purchase again. Are you still having trouble? Are you still not receiving emails regarding codes to your security proofs? Let us know and we'll be happy to help you out! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response!

I have not tried to purchase anything yet, but when I find time this week to play, I will give it a shot and let you guys know.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.