Can't Authorize Payment

For some reason Xbox live all of a sudden will nor authorize my credit card which I have been using for years...please help

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1,645 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Sloppybackfat! Be sure to see if the credit card is still active and not expired. If it isnt expired then delete the information off the xbox and enter that credit card back in, then it should work again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi SI0ppyBackFat, I'm sorry to hear that you're having a payment authorization issue... could you tell me what the exact error message you are getting?

Make sure the billing address for your account matches the billing address used by your payment method company first, and if they match up then consider contacting your bank or financial institution, they could be intentionally preventing the card from being used.

Too many declined purchase attempts could also cause the issue, or if you have a violation on the payment option for non-payment... otherwise, consider trying to remove your card and add it again! Let us know if any of this applies :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I have been through this with over the phone support and they cannot figure it out either.  I have used this card for a couple years on this account without issue.  I have removed the card and added it again.  I have also tried to link my paypal account and it wont accept that either!?!

Sorry this didn't help.

The phone support also informed me that the account is in good standing and verified that this card was used in recent purchases.  I have checked my credit card account and everything seems fine.  My Paypal account is linked directly to my bank account and for some reason that is being rejected too...

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright then, So the only thing I can think of is trying to check this support page: support.xbox.com/.../purchase-xbox-live-content and Is there any type of error message that is displayed?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are still having this issue please post what the issue is and what steps you have taken to fix it in the thread below and I will do my best to help you out. This is a surprisingly common problem.

forums.xbox.com/.../1344432.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

This is happening to me as well, with the same cards I've been using for years... started yesterday....

Support couldn't help me either... To be fair though, the person helping me (Rebecca) did her best... she was awesome.

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you please try and add another payment option, such as a different credit card or paypal.

If multiple payments do not work, and on several accounts, this could indicate a potential server detection of suspicious activity. If you receive any status or error codes, then please let me know. E.g you may receive the status code 80153410 which is linked to this issue, when using Microsoft points (when trying to purchase with them). A known way around this, if the server detection is a false positive, is to use your payment method through xbox.com outside of your home. E.g. Not on the same IP address as your XBOX console. So going through a mobile network or using a friends internet connection in there house would be an alternative.

Sorry this didn't help.

the only error i get states "Can't authorize the selected payment option.  Please select a different payment option or add a new one."

The weird thing is on the the website I was able to add some points last night over a 5 minute span and then all of a sudden I was blocked again.  Very strange and erratic behaviour...I am very confused.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also tried purchasing with my ipad on a 3g network which did not work either

Sorry this didn't help.