Can't Authorize Payment

I was downloading some songs today and I have bought several packs of Microsoft Points during the process of doing that. Then I went to buy another batch of points using the same credit card and it said "Can't authorize the selected payment option. Please select a different payment option or add a new one." So I added my PayPal account and another credit; yet they had the same result.

What's the deal?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here is a solution... many in fact :: Most of the time they don't see why any card we use is being declined. Just that it is. Reasons it could happen... 1. Your bank declining: contact them and make sure 2. Billing information: The billing information on the account needs ot match exactly what is on the card or with your bank. Even if it worked before because you had the right CVS code, doesn't mean it will again. 3. Your purchase limit for the day may be maxxed out (for Xbox points daily limit). 4. You might not have enough funds in your bank account or reached your credit limit. 5. You may have started making purchases after a long period of inactivity which would flag the purchased as fraud per their security which is really great for us customer. ... seriously check it out guys.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

All we get are links saying read this or that...how's about your come up with a solution to this very irritating problem that is OBVIOUSLY a Microsoft issue instead? If everyone has the same problems and checked the bank info like 50 times and tried adding new sources...there's something wrong with your payment system!

Sorry this didn't help.

How is it not accepting your card? What are you trying to purchase, where are you trying to purchase it, and what is the error you get? Also, check out our Payment Method (forums.xbox.com/.../19164.aspx) and Purchasing (forums.xbox.com/.../32.aspx) guides.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also experiencing the very same problem. I joined Xbox LIVE FREE and paid for the download of CRYSIS for £14.99, and the payment went through perfectly.

Then I decided to upgrade to Xbox LIVE GOLD for 12 months, and again they accepted my payment. I really want to add some points do I can download games and movies etc, but the wretched thing won't accept my card.

I rang my bank and they told me everything seemed fine. I know for sure there's a fair amount of money in my bank so that shouldn't be a problem.

It seems to me that there is a glitch in the Xbox LIVE system or something. I'm relieved that my bank think nothing dodgy is going on, but I am also a bit frustrated that I can't indulge in all the downloadable content, games, movies and demos that are there to be enjoyed. Come on Microsoft, you're missing out on some sales here, sort your site code out and take my money, I WANT GAMES!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having the same problem when I try to purchase MS Points online the only message I get is "Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option." I tried yesterday and today and I get the same message.

All the information is correct in the Billing and Account Management page, the status even says "good" on both my different payment methods

Sorry this didn't help.

SAD: Have you tried checking out our Payment Method guide (forums.xbox.com/.../19164.aspx)? Does all the billing/account info match? Have you tried different payment methods?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem now. my card is okay but i cant get points

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, I´ve got the same problem. There has never been a problem with purchasing DLC content and microsoft points with my credit card but now (for three days now) it only says "Can't authorize the selected payment option..."

Sorry this didn't help.

My two credit cards and PayPal are from three different sources. So your proposed answer is incorrect.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't be, I was on the phone to my bank while I tried to purchase MS points and they said that nothing is being picked up, like MS isn't even accessing my card for them to decline it.

Sorry this didn't help.