Can't acess old GFWL account but still have all CD keys from it, anyway to recover it?

After a year of not using it I finally bought some new games that require a GFWL account and have forgotten my login information since it was so long ago. No combination of possible passwords/emails has worked that I could have used back then so I can't get into resetting it that way. I do still have all four unique CD keys linked to the account and am wondering if that would help in getting my account back.

Mainly since there's no way to do that through normal means, I am wondering if anyone knows how to actually talk to someone over a chat, like the ambassador chat (which didn't help), through e-mail, or through any other way that I can solve this issue.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 23 Applies to:

If you know the gamertag that the account was under then you can use that to contact XBOX Support, if you can answer their verification questions they should be able to tell you the e-mail so you then continue to the Windows Live reset page and fill out the page with all of the information that's needed in an attempt to reset your password so you can login to that account and play your games.

I understand that the way Games for Windows LIVE does things isn't very convenient for people who don't keep track of multiple e-mails/passwords but again, as you stated yourself it's their own level of DRM.

Hope your able to contact support and answer their questions so you can at least get started on some sort of account recovery. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I posted this back in July which didn't help then either since it was the same answers that didn't work. I've e-mailed 3 different times with no real answer except 'just use the forgot password feature' which I explained did not work since I do not remember any of the log in information and could never scrape a human answer from them any time. But not only through the 3 e-mails was I not helped, 2 times trying to use ambassador chat I was never able to connect to a person, who, in turn, I would hope could have just pointed me to a chat with a real employee. Phone chat is not an option for me, plus it would he very much easier to just copy over CD keys in a chat then to try and 'alpha-bravo-charlie' it over the phone.

That's 3 e-mails, 2 failed ambassador chats, and 2 threads where the only answers I got were the same, obvious, thing of using support and can't get an answer that isn't a run-around.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there. I see that you've asked this question before on the forums here back in July. I would have to go with the same answer that was given before. You'll have to try this over the phone or try chat support. Here's a link to get you started. Hope this helps you out and happy gaming!

support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Sorry this didn't help.

the only way to get help with account issues is thru chat support or phone support

make sure you use support chat not ambassador chat and yes there is a difference

support chat is ms xbox support

ambassador chat is only volunteers who give their time and don't have access to your account info

if you are failing validation then  and not providing enough info

have you tried contacting windows live support

reseting the password isnt limited to emails or secret questions

however if you do not have a secret question that would cause a fail on passing validation

your best bet is to use the windows live validation form by clicking contact support on the reset password option

as you can fill out all the info about the account as long as you did not use fake info and fill out enough info about the account to pass

ive written an article awhile back on how to use that form and it has helped alot of people

use the more info box

this incluides recent games , gamer score friends and maybe cd keys any info that can prove you are the owner

there is certain things that must be met and noone can hand over your account without them

name address

original isp etc etc

you should take steps to keep your personal info upto date

i update my account info the very least every 6 months even minor updates and i change my password every 6months for security

Sorry this didn't help.

First off, ngocphi, you have honestly given me the best help I've had so far while dealing with this, finally answering some questions and having suggestions that I could not pull out of any other source to try and fix this, thank you.

I understand the difference between ambassador chat and actual chat with a ms employee, but I had thought that I would have to talk to the ambassador with my problem so they could see it needed something that wasn't just "go to the support page" and pass it up to an employee, since I have looked high and low for some way to actually contact a ms employee directly.

I can't get into some validation, or what I would believe it to be (secret question), since I don't remember the e-mail associated with the account, the two I could have used did not work, and the 1 hotmail account I was able to get into, that I believe I was asked to make because it only took hotmail accounts, didn't work even though it had some information on it that would be about that old as when I would have made it.

I don't know if I exactly tried windows live support, or how it would be different from trying to chat with an employee.

From what I've encountered trying to reset password only works from the e-mail or secret question.

I'm pretty sure I do have a secret question but was only able to get to it once and it was something that would have changed (something favorite that I wouldn't remember from that long ago).

I'll try password reset again and see if there's anything about contacting a support from there.

There was only so many combinations for account name/e-mail/password I could have used back then so if I ever get to that stage those and what I hope to be actual facts that wouldn't change I'm sure I can remember.

Name would be the same, address, though I've moved, I believe I still remember the same address I made the account at, the main thing that I know no one else could ever get is the unique CD keys that I still have all 4.

The reason I never bothered to keep up on info or anything for the account is because since I have the games through Steam, and yes this can only be solved through this end not them, and the Games for Windows Live is nothing more then bad DRM to me, and even though I understand their want to have this, it still is all DRM

Sorry this didn't help.

call xbox support at 1-800-469-9269 and they will help solve your issue

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I remember the gamertag that it left off on, the problem is that I can not find any way to actually contact an xbox support employee through a chat, as a phone chat is out of the question for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't think chat would be able to give you those same questions, not quite sure though. Chat's only available for certain cases not all. As far as your inability to use the phone, can't you use something like Skype? It has free 1-800 calls going out so you should be able to call them easily regardless of where you are.

Sorry this didn't help.