Can someone please answer this question?

So I don't really know much about networking and all that stuff, but is it possible for someone to hack your xbox or router or ip or someting like that and somehow bug your system causing you to lag while playing matches online, kinda like your match connection is always one step behind everyone elses. A simple yes or no and a few details would be appreciated not really looking for a bunch of bull. thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 19, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS)

Some people do not believe that the Xbox 360 is actually vulnerable to such attacks, but there are some pretty convincing videos on YouTube which seem to suggest otherwise.

thanks but do you believe it is possible for someone to make your connection lag during gameplay?

That's what a DDoS essentially does. It can even boot you completely from an online match.

oh ok I get what your saying

thanks again ill look into that, and try to find out more info

interesting...i didn't know that if true . Ty Romero .

If it is true do you believe once they do it , it will be a permenant thing on ur ip adress or only during one match?

It wouldn't be permanent unless the hacker were just a real doosh who does nothing all day with his time but try to attack your console only. I do not believe there is any way that one can just lock you out of online play altogether. And again, this is considered not only a violation of the Xbox Live ToS, but potentially a federal crime of cyber terrorism as well.

And here i was thinking Live was impenetrable to Attacks***

A few things that need to be clarified. First, a DDoS Attack does not "lag" someone out. It shuts down Internet Access on a Local IP from the Modem all together. Meaning, your PC along with any other Device will no longer have Access to the Internet. This is an attack on your ISP, not the Xbox 360 or Xbox LIVE.

Second, a DDoS Attack is not as "easy" or as common place as people believe. It takes a "few" more like hundreds to thousands of infected PC's to send a Ping Request over and over, essentially cutting off all other Traffic. Most Modems/ Routers protect against this nowadays as it is.

To answer the OP, simply put. No people do not "lag" your Connection out. More than likely it simply someone who has a poor Connection with you to begin with or they are on the other side of the world. With that said if you believe you are the Victim of a DDoS Attack, contact your ISP and inform them. It is an issue between them, you and whoever did the attack and no one else.