can older backwards compatibility games with performance issues be improved upon?

Seems like some first wave backwards compatibility games have glaring performance issues, like Mass Effect, or the Gears of War games, or Halo Reach. I've heard some people say simply that it just depends on the Xbox 360 games themselves, that whether the games were more GPU or CPU bound makes all the difference, and that's why say games like Red Dead Redemption actually perform marginally better on the Xbox One hardware than they did on the Xbox 360. Some games I've played I don't even notice any problems.

Seems the later entries in the BC catalog seem to do better, and I'm curious if Microsoft is now simply putting games up on the BC catalog that run better, or whether the performance disparity between titles that perform well and those that don't could be better explained not by their original Xbox 360 code and how the Xbox One's X360 emulator handles it, but whether each of these titles has certain tweaks in the emulation software that finds the right balance of system resources and optimal performance. Because, if that's the case, wouldn't that mean that maybe those lower performing and problematic BC titles can be enhanced for better performance?

And if that's the case, well, I'd really love to see the big name titles get the performance improvements they deserve, like Halo Reach, or Mass Effect, or the Gears of War games. Those signature Xbox 360 titles that made the Xbox 360 one of my favorite systems in my 30 years of gaming. Couldn't tinkering, tweaking, and improving on emulator settings possibly find optimal performance with these games?

I realize companies always need to manage resources, and can't get hung up on one project, and need to keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. I get that. But still, whatever process goes into making these games work on the Xbox One, there seems to be a lack of consistency in performance, but they're getting better, and once they (whomever "they" are) get more familiar and more effective at it, I think it might be a good idea from time-to-time to revisit tweaking these games' emulator settings in the fashion that's been found to be more effective.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 36 Applies to:

I am no expert on the B/C issue but if some code was designed a certain way to maximize the use of the 360 GPU then it could be a little harder for the B/C team to get the same level from the Xbox One GPU. None of what I am saying is from anything other than me but sometimes emulation requires more power than the original because of different tweaks that have to be done. You see that from how large of a processor and ram you need from running a free emulator off the web. It seems to take a lot more power on certain aspects to run how it did on less of an original hardware. I'm sure most people know more than myself so I'm just offering suggestions. To me I believe the B/C team can improve these issues but it is probably really time consuming to work on 1 or 2 items like frame rate. I myself am okay with Halo Reach for now because even though its far from perfect on Xbox One, at least I can still play it. It seems they have worked much harder this generation on B/C then on the Xbox to 360 so kudos to MS.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It would be a great thing to see but I'm not sure how likely this is to happen. There's likely improvements to be made to the emulator itself but the games will stay static as it's unlikely any developer will go back to an old title to improve it purely for BC reasons. Still, never say never I guess.