Can not purchase MS points

I read the sticky and a few other posts.  I've followed all directions, but I'm still getting the error Can't Authorize Payment Please Change or Add a New One.  I checked on the microsoft billing site and it says that my card status is good and I see no problems there.  I'm trying to get more points.  I'm in the USA and connect from the USA.  My billing address is right, I can purchase items online at other sites, I have monies, but xbox will not let me buy anything.  I've added and removed several cards.  Waited 24 hours and tried the process again.  Nothing is working.  On a maybe related note, the card that I used for my gold membership and previous purchases is not active anymore.  I can not remove that card since it says it is linked with a service or something like that.  I've tried several different cards.  I don't want to use pay pal and  I don't want to go buy a card at a store, because I'm afraid that that will not work either. 

I'm going to use the points to buy the escalation map pack and rent a HD movie, but I could just save my money....

Any thoughts?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Have you checked out the Payment Method Sticky yet?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, this got me going in the right direction.  I had to transfer services and billing from my non functioning card to another for it to work.  

How do I use a new payment method?

To transfer your services and balances to a new payment method, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to the Billing and Account Management website.

2. Under Your payment methods, click the payment method you want to change.

3. Under Payment method activity, click Go to payment method information.

4. Under Payment method information for this account, click Use a different payment method.

5. Click Add new credit card, and then click Next.

6. Click Add new Direct Debit, and then click Next.

7. On the Confirm transfer page, confirm the balances and services you want to transfer, and then click Next.

8. Enter the information for the new payment method, and then click Save.

This will probably solve most issues for people.  

Sorry this didn't help.

i have had the same problem. last month i couldnt buy points with my card.

i called MS support and they blamed my bank.

i called my bank and they said no purchase had even be attempted.

i called back MS support and they told me to wait 24 hours and try again.

24 hours it still didnt work so i called MS support and they said someone would call back.

24 hours later no one had called so i called MS support and they told me they would call back within 72 hours.

no one called back after 72 hours so i called again and was told to try another card.

i dont have another card so they suggested buying a prepaid card.

i didnt want to pay the extra money for a prepaid card (its much cheaper to buy points directly online) so i left them with it and asked them to call when they figured out what was wrong.

i never heard back.

this month i changed banks, and got a new card.

same thing is happening.

called MS support and they still have not worked out what is wrong, said they would call me back.

still waiting.....

the funny thing is, even though it says my card cannot be authorised, when i check my details to make sure they are all correct, (which they are) they charge a pre-authorisation fee of $2. they have taken four seperate $2 "pre-authorisation charges" without any trouble. 3 on the last card and 1 on the new one. i know i get that money back, but if they can take that why cant they take money for points?

Sorry this didn't help.