Can DR3 or any disk game be played offline?

Howdy all,

Not sure if this is a issue or not, but it's in regard to offline.

A friend of mine asked if this game could be played offline, as they was considering buying a X1 + DR3. I decided to try it myself to make sure first. I did inform them of the day one update which was required to use X1. They planned to bring it to my place to get the update before taking it home with them.

So I logged out and made sure it didn't automatically sign me in, I then turned my X1 off and disconnected my LAN cable before turning back on. I inserted my DR3 game disk then started the game. (I already had the game fully installed with all updates, apart from this new 13GB one.)

The game started to load up to the Title Screen (not the Menu Screen) where it promote you to press the A button. I pressed A and it will ask me to Sign In or Cancel, (As my friend wouldn't have the X1 connected to the internet.) So I press the Cancel option, this would take me back to the Title Screen, pressing A again will only bring the Sign In message again. There was no way past the Title Screen unless you log on. I even went into the setting and set my X1 as My Home Xbox, which didn't work.

I know this game uses the X1 Cloud Servers and thought that was the reason, I've been playing this game alot and found, sometimes the game can fail to connect to the Cloud Server. This would give me two options Retry or play Offline. So the first time this happened I tried the Offline option, this took me to the Menu Screen and I was able to play the game without any issue.

I did some research online and found no one has mentioned this, and if anyone asked if the game required a internet connection all replies was No.

So I thought I bring it up in case it was an unknown issue or if it was an issue at all, and if it something Capcom could fix or if it a problem for Microsoft.

I have DR3 Day One Edition (Disk) Version of the game, the only other games I have are Fifa 14 full game (digital) and Killer Instict demo (digital). I found I was able to play both Fifa 14 and Killer Instict offline, tho I had to be online the first and only time to play Fifa 14. (Both Fifa and KI brought the message to Sign In or Cancel, however clicking Cancel would allow you to play the game)

So can't say if this only happens with disk version of this game or if it also happens with the digital version too, or if it a issue with some or all disk games on X1.

Anyway sorry for the long post xD thought it better to explain it then sum it up in one word.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

After getting the day one update for the console itself, yes the games you buy on disc or via download can be played offline. As long as the account that bought the digital game is on the console too (for disc versions of games it will just work).

You will need to "Sign In" though. Even though your console is offline, it requires your account is "signed in" meaning it is active. Otherwise the game(s) don't know who to assign save files to. When you got the option to Sign In or Cancel, select Sign In and away you go, even without the Internet connection.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dead Rising 3 just released a 13gb update patch, so I would keep it connected until that downloads.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, I reccommend your friend get internet if he plans on gaming in the 21st century

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, nowadays, games are mostly focused on multiplayer, which leaves single-player modes bare bones.

Sorry this didn't help.