Buying Stolen Game

This sounds weird.  Ok a while ago, my account was hacked and someone used my XBL account to purchase Black Ops for 60 Bucks.

I called Xbox support and was told there was no refunds under any circumstances, and that I should dispute the charge with VISA. (change passwords, etc)

I did dispute the charge, and Visa refunded me my money.  A few days later I decided that I did want Black Ops for real, I went to purchase the game, and the only option was to "Re-download".  I thought, "Hey free game alright!" because I truly had the right to dispute the charge as it was not mine.

What I would like to ask is, if I download the game would I be breaking any terms of service rules or laws?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I suggest contacting XBOX Support for your region via the phone if I were you, your account may be banned for marketplace theft (considering you are now playing on the content) better to be safe than sorry.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I dont see how it can be considered marketplace theft.  Microsoft got their money and refused to refund the purchase.  I got my money from Visa, but as far as microsoft is concerned I purchased the game.  Thats what they told me on the phone, I would just like an Employee to confirm that Im all good.

Sorry this didn't help.

You'd have to think on how closely Microsoft and Visa work together. You've told Microsoft you didn't want that game, Visa have now refunded you for that game. So if Microsoft inform Visa that you are now in fact playing that game, then they may think you were just attempting to defraud them.

Personally I'd hedge on the side of honesty and buy the game on disc. 

Sorry this didn't help.

The funny thing is I already own the game on disc, if microsoft wants proof of this they can check and see that I downloaded the most recent map pack for free, the only people who can do this are those who purchased the prestige edition of the game.

Thats irregardless, I know downloading the game could be seen as sketchy, but I want to know if there is anything in the Terms and Conditions I agreed to that specifically say "You cannot download a game if you are disputing the charge that origionally paid for it".

Im not asking whether it is right or wrong, I am asking if this instance is specifically against the terms and conditions I agreed to when turning on my 360 for the first time.  It is really important I get an official word on this matter.

I really appreciate all the advice you have all given me, I am going to go read over the TnC right now, but I would like word from an admin or mod on this matter, thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.