Buying full games from the market place for someone else

Hi, my son is getting a 360 with 250gb harddisk for christmas, I'd like to purchase a few full games from the marketplace for him to download when he sets it up and logs in for the first time (i would prefer to forego disk swapping as much as possible so would prefer not to buy the game on disk instead)

Is this possible and if so how.

He already has a gamertag for Games for windows live set up as a child account with me as the parent

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 18 Applies to:

You will have to wait till the  xbox is up and running with a GOLD account. Once you have done that you can use your credit card to buy games for him. (don't worry you have the option to remove your card).  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks but...

Does it have to be a gold account... I'm reluctant to pay a company a subscrition for the right to buy off them in the first place.

it has been suggested to me by a colleague that if i bought and downloaded the game to his xbox using my account he'd still be able to play it when he logged back in as himself- is there any truth to this?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know you're getting conflicting messages, but believe me when I tell you that you don't need a Gold account to purchase content from Xbox LIVE, be that full games or add-on packs. No paid subscription is required.

I would suggest you purchase the content with his account.  You can do this with your own card and then it can be removed later.  If you purchase anything with your account it can cause problems and confusion if you buy another console for him in the future.

Bear in mind that a lot of the newer arcade titles available to download are several hundred MB's (megabytes), which depending on your Internet connection, could take some time to download.  Full titles from Games on Demand are several GB's (gigabytes), and will take significantly longer to download.

Disc games have the ability to be installed on the system, the disc is still required, but running games from the hard drive decrease the wear and tear on the DVD drive.  Also new titles are not available to download on their release, they are added to the marketplace later.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice...

Just one more follow on question:- at the moment trying to buy from his account (even after confirming the permission on my parental account) informs me that purchases cannot me made with a child or teen account, Am I right in thinking, based on the information you've kindly provided so far, that this is because it's not tied to a specific x-box rather than a restriction due purely to age?  

Sorry this didn't help.

There are age restrictions in place on certain content. For paid for content, you can change the online settings to allow the content to be purchased from your son's account (forums.xbox.com/.../31.aspx). However, I'm not sure if you can do this in order to set up the download from the website or if you'll have to do it once you have the console.

Sorry this didn't help.