Buttons! Switches! Levers! EVERYWHERE!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo 4 (for the multiplayer), but to the point: is it just me or does the campaign & Spartan Ops both seem very monotonous to you? Although the story is good on both accounts, I can't help but see that the gameplay is literally nothing more than go from point A to point B while killing a whole lot of enemies & pusing even more buttons. That IMO, is NOT good game design & is a travesty that parallels itself with the visually-repetitive levels & back-tracking of the very 1st Halo video game. What's your take on all of the button pushing? Does it push your buttons like it does mine?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

"Actually the promethean are easy to fight. After a while you know where they will appear and shoot at that spot when they appear. Maybe you lack of intuition? ;)".

I don't think you quite got the point.

Independent of whether I can tell where they're going to spawn or not, they are a chore to fight. There are not unique in any worthwhile way and they aren't interesting, tactical opponents to fight.

Even Elite Generals with Fuel Rod Cannons are far better, and they're still far worse than any previous Elite version.

It's funny but after I played the canpaign some after I had beaten it I was able to bring them down in different ways due to being more familiar with the different guns during multiplayer.  Like boltshotting them.  I initially thought the boltshot was the most worthless gun in the game.

Actually the promethean are easy to fight.

After a while you know where they will appear and shoot at that spot when they appear.

Maybe you lack of intuition? ;)

[quote user="A Blue Illusion"]I have to agree on the Prometheans... tedious is the word I'd use as well. Every single encounter I had with them (with the occasional exception when I had an incinerator cannon or something) just seemed to be a drawn out process that I was more than ready to be done and over with by the time it ended. Even though the Covenant has been around since the beginning and didn't really bring any new and spectacular techniques to their fighting ability... I still had [much] more fun fighting them.[/quote]

Gaaaah, Prometheans!  Could not stand them after awhile either.  Every encounter was followed with s sigh.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

There's little to no elegance or creativity in H4's campaign whatsoever, and the excessive button pressing is part of that.

It does bother me significantly and I fail to see how people can praise H4's Campaign or Spartan Ops, particularly, when pressing buttons is so heavily forced upon you.

In one of the Spartan Ops chapters I believe you press 8 or so buttons. One of Episode 10's missions starts and ends with a button.

It's as though 343 doesn't actually understand what they're doing.

"No, it does not bug me at all because Im too busy having fun shooting things".

Are you?

I find I can't, since there's no thought put into the enemy design, their weapons, their deployment or anything at all. The Prometheans? They're tedious, not exciting. I wish I could look past the buttons because I enjoy fighting the enemies, but that enjoyment simply isn't there... probably because the effort or understanding wasn't there in development.

[/quote]

I have to agree on the Prometheans... tedious is the word I'd use as well. Every single encounter I had with them (with the occasional exception when I had an incinerator cannon or something) just seemed to be a drawn out process that I was more than ready to be done and over with by the time it ended. Even though the Covenant has been around since the beginning and didn't really bring any new and spectacular techniques to their fighting ability... I still had [much] more fun fighting them.

There's little to no elegance or creativity in H4's campaign whatsoever, and the excessive button pressing is part of that.

It does bother me significantly and I fail to see how people can praise H4's Campaign or Spartan Ops, particularly, when pressing buttons is so heavily forced upon you.

In one of the Spartan Ops chapters I believe you press 8 or so buttons. One of Episode 10's missions starts and ends with a button.

It's as though 343 doesn't actually understand what they're doing.

"No, it does not bug me at all because Im too busy having fun shooting things".

Are you?

I find I can't, since there's no thought put into the enemy design, their weapons, their deployment or anything at all. The Prometheans? They're tedious, not exciting. I wish I could look past the buttons because I enjoy fighting the enemies, but that enjoyment simply isn't there... probably because the effort or understanding wasn't there in development.

No, it does not bug me at all because Im too busy having fun shooting things.

It did get me at first, but I'm long over it now.

I think one of the things about pushing buttons is that it's an unavoidable staple in FPS. You have to have a reason to run from A to B and kill everything in your path along the way and 'activating' something just comes with the territory.

However, I do sometimes feel like they used that motif a little heavily at times. Just to throw some context at it, I think button pushing was a bit on the heavy side when in the Forerunner structures where you had to ride the gondolas from one side to the other.

Enter structure, get on gondola, push button to start ride. Gondola stops, fight Covenant/Promethians to get to distant 'power relay' platform. Fight all that way just to push power button, fight all the way back to gondola... to push power button to continue ride... until you get to the next power relay. I think maybe a way to make that section feel less repetitive would have been to just not use the 'gondolas'. Maybe make the trip from one side of the facility to the other via a vehicle that we drove. Or, how cool would it have been to deploy a Warthog from the Pelican and used it with a few Marines who decided to tag along to fight your way through the facility?

I know that some of the most memorable moments throughout Halo's campaign have been the ones where they added more context to the 'push button' move on to next objective idea. One of the things I liked most about CE's ending is that after you destroyed the heat exchangers, they didn't just immediately go to the ending cutscene. You had to get to a Warthog and drive like @@@@ to finish it. I was glad to see that idea return in Halo 3.

Other memorable things throughout the series for me were boarding vehicles, boarding and destroying Scarabs and several others that I can't think of now. But the thing they had in common was that they were more than just killing everything to push a button. Of course, they'd have to be careful using those ideas too much as well because then it would just shift the repetitive aspect to 'capture/destroy or hijack vehicle, move on to next objective'... I'm sure it probably isn't as easy as it sounds to find that balance.