Burning games to hard drive before playing them?

So I have been burning my games to my hard drive before playing them. After burning them the system is noticeably quieter and definitely runs much smoother. I noticed with gears of war 3 the system seems to still be loud at first during start up but eventually quiets down to where its almost like nothing is even in the trey. My NHL 12 nevers makes a start up noise but gears 3 seems to. Why is that? Anyone else notice this?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Burning game is not word there bud , you mean you installed them on your HDD ? anywayse on to the topic nope only one game that ever installed on my HDD was NCIS is quite loud and after I installed noise was gone

My Gears 3 copy never had to install it

first off, you don't BURN games to a hard drive. you install them, it is two very diffrent things.

2nd... during boot up of a game that has been installed to the hard drive, the xbox checks to make sure that a legit disk is in the tray. then it accesses the game on the hard drive, games are programmed diffrently so how the disk is read may vary from title to title.

Its actually due to the new disc format that was introduced last year that has better anti piracy newer titles such as Gear 3 even when installed will still read for around 3-5 minutes before stopping.

Just installed it to see..

Gears of War 3, does a copyright check from game startup & keeps it spinning, until you enter a match etc... The discs don't install everything on the HDD either... It's so  people can't install the game, then pull the HDD out & grab the data on a computer, to make an ISO of what installs & plays the game etc..

the disk only installs part of the game, not the full game.

pretty sure it doesn't install any of the xbox updates that MS puts on the disks, which is like 1gb of space wasted. all my games spin at start up but by the time im at the title screen it stops.

The reason it spins up during the title screen is to check to make sure the disc is legit. I usually install the games to my hdd before playing them, but with a small hdd this means i have to delete one at the same time. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind if hdd space is a concern. Especially when playing a game you don't own (renting or borrowing from a friend) or you don't know if you'll get into.

[quote user="JWM2"]

The reason it spins up during the title screen is to check to make sure the disc is legit. I usually install the games to my hdd before playing them, but with a small hdd this means i have to delete one at the same time. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind if hdd space is a concern. Especially when playing a game you don't own (renting or borrowing from a friend) or you don't know if you'll get into.

[/quote]

You'd have to delete a lot if you got The Witcher 2. It takes up around 19 gigs.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Yes I meant "installed" rather than burn haha. My bad. So it's normal to hear the disc spinning making noise for a couple minutes? I noticed after those first couple minutes the disc did stop and quieted down for sure

Yes, completely normal. Don't worry about it.

yeah i notice it with gears 3, every other game i have installed spin for about 10 secs but gears 3 spins for ages.