Bug Report - TV app quits working. Happened twice. Detailed Report inside.

I've seen similar issues reported here, but the more details that are provided, the faster the problem will be fixed.  This bug has happened to me twice since November 22nd.  I have found a temporary fix, until a patch is released.

The Problem (or Bug):  TV app (and TV Settings app) stops working unexplainably on the next system startup.  TV app was working as designed before the next startup.

Associated Issues:  The TV and AV Receiver QUIT Turning On and Off with the system, but this worked fine before the problem occured.  TV and Receiver quit Turning Off with the system on the last Shut Down prior to the problem.  Since TV Settings app toggles this function on/off, I believe the Settings Application crashing could be part of the problem.

Possible Issues (Could be associated):  Dish Network Hopper box (HDMI IN to the xbox) has never Turned Off when the rest of the equipment automatically turned off.  This could be by design, but I reported it in case it is related.  My Power Supply box always has a White Light on, even when the xbox is off.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to be yellow or red when the xbox is off, or if this is by design.

Error Message Received:  When Launching the TV app (or TV Settings), a black screen with the TV logo is displayed.  After less than a minute of waiting, an error message is displayed, "Please try again. For some reason TV took too long to start. (0x8027025a)

Xbox Power Settings:  Instant-On Power.  Automatically Turn On and Off everything (TV, Receiver, and set top box).

My Home Theater Setup:  Dish Network Hopper box from 2013 (HDMI In to Xbox), Yamaha RXV673 Receiver (HDMI Out from Xbox), and Samsung 52" LCD TV from 2009 (HDMI Out from Receiver)

My Theory on the problem:  I am unsure of the cause of this problem, but I believe the glitch happens when Turning Off the Xbox.  I have heard rumor that it affects Instant On Power mode, but have not tested this.

Step-by-step explanation of what happened in my case (Case 1):  TV was working fine on Saturday night (I had rebooted several times between Thursday and Saturday night with no issues), until the problem occurred wihout reason on Saturday night around 1 AM EST.  I held down the Xbox button on the controller and turned off the system.  No other equipment turned off with the Xbox (it normally does when using voice or the controller).  I manually turned off my equipment and went to bed.  The next morning, I said "Xbox On".  The Xbox came on, but the rest of the equipment did not turn on.  I said "Xbox Watch TV", and that's when the problem first occurred.  I tried to access TV Settings with the controller, but I had the same problem.  I tried rebooting the system (without unplugging it) and disconnecting & reconnecting the HDMI cable;  but nothing helped.  I ended up Restoring Factory Defaults, which fixed the problem... but I had to reinstall & redownload everything.  What a long process!!

Step-by-step explanation of what happened in my case (Case 2):  TV was working fine on Sunday and Monday (I had rebooted several times in this time frame without issues), but the problem suddenly occurred without reason on Monday night around 11:30 PM EST.  I had done nothing different than usual.  I said "Xbox Turn Off" > "Yes".  The Xbox turned off, but the rest of my equipment did not turn off.  I manually turned off my equipment; but I immediately knew that the same problem had occurred again.  I said "Xbox On", and sure enough.. the problem happened again!  No TV App, No Automatically Turning on my TV or Receiver.  I refused to Restore Factory Defaults again for this to happen again.  I unplugged the power cable going to the power supply, waited 10 seconds, and plugged it back in.  I touched the "X" on the Xbox console to turn it on.  The TV and Receiver turned on automatically this time, so I knew it was working.  Sure enough, the TV app was working again.  I could also access the TV Settings App again.

Temporary Fix (until Official fix is made):  Unplug the Power cord to the Power Supply (or from the wall).  Wait 10 seconds (enough for capacitors to discharge), and plug it back in.

Please fix this soon Microsoft!!  I've seen reports of this from several folks on the forum.  This is a CRITICAL component to your Xbox One sales, as this "One box" idea is the #1 selling feature to non-gamers and very casual gamers.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I spoke to Paul at Microsoft Support, who was very friendly; and he offered to raise this issue to his superiors.  He told me that I was the first person to report this issue, which is surprising.. because I've counted 4 different people with this issue in just the first page or two of forum postings.. in the first 4 days of the system's debut.  Unfortunately, Paul was unable to tell me if its a software or hardware problem.  It's much more likely to be a software issue, imho, since unplugging it fixes the issue.  It seems like an unexplainable Windows Program closure, which is only fixable by rebooting.

Has anyone heard from Microsoft on this issue - is it a Software issue or a Hardware issue?  I'd hate to return the xbox, only for the next one to have the same issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having literally the EXACT same issue with the same equipment (Except audio receiver). Thank you for documenting your results as I was in the process writing that as well. I refuse to restore to factory defaults once again for this issue. Lets hope this gets fixed. I will be trying your workaround later.

Also my Hopper will turn on when it is time for a DVR Event to start and that causes the Xbox one to reproduce that issue and flip out.

Have you tried Disabling the Instant On and the ability for the device to power off the tv/hopper/receiver?

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't seen this issue reported by Comcast or Cable users yet; interesting..  could just be overlooking those, or maybe they haven't commented (most users haven't said what service they have).  Everyone reporting the issue seems to be Dish Network, FIOS, and DirecTV.  Perhaps I overlooked the others.  I haven't ran into the problem with the Hopper recording something, but It stays on most the time anyway.

I can tell you that the problem occurs whether or not you're using the Beta Surround Sound in.  The first time it crashed, the surround sound input was enabled.  Second time, it was not enabled.

I haven't tried changing the Power Option; it's something I plan on trying next.  I'm interested to see if switching from 1080i tv to 720p will make the difference.  I prefer to lose my "Xbox On" function, rather than lose 1080 programming though.

I'm just glad that folks are talking about this more now.  It's an issue that needs to be addressed asap.  Fortunately Mister Ohsaka (spelling?) from official MS support is working the case now.  He requested on another thread that users submit Console ID information to him.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a very similar issue. My TV goes out intermittently. I use DirecTV.  I know that the satellite power box turns off or goes in to a low power mode and I have to manually turn it on before I get the TV back working. Sometimes that's the case, other times I have to unplug or restart the XBOX One system altogether. I have disabled the XBOX One low power mode altogether to avoid this issue in the future but the system never turns off (meaning light on the front always stays on indicating to me that it's on in some form) unless I unplug it from the back. I agree with the original poster that there are a lot of issues, and we're just talking about the TV mind you, that are turning me quickly off the idea of permanently integrating the system at this time. Love the idea but it currently stinks in its current form because of these early and frequent issues. With that said, I can't wait for it all to be fixed!

Sorry this didn't help.

From reading through other Threads with the "Instant on" power save mode enabled the issue is reproducible. Rather then disconnecting the XB1 from its power source each time we can switch to energy saving mode. Pretty disappointed in this actually. I hope this is not a hardware issue. My "Xbox On" command has never worked anyway. I reported my console ID to the rep you noted. Thanks for your help.

support.xbox.com/.../learn-about-power-modes

Sorry this didn't help.

This has happened to me also.  I am a Time Warner Cable customer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Having this problem as well.  DirectTV subscriber.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same issue and I have Comcast

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue and I have DirecTV

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to say the same situation as the OP happened to me. His temporary solution seems to fix the problem for a bit.

Sorry this didn't help.