Brand new Halo 4, unable to read disc

So I bought Halo 4 brand new, unwrap it and put it straight into the 360, and it immediately says that the disc is unreadable.

I've seen multiple threads about this and I've tried all the fixes that have been suggested. I know it isn't the disc, and all my other games work fine. I cleared the cache, tried compressed air cleaning etc and nothing.

What I -haven't- seen is what Microsoft knows about the issue, and if they plan to do anything about it. At this point, as far as I can tell, my options are to send in my xbox for repair ( for which they will charge me, even though I'm pretty certain nothing is wrong with it), buy a newer 360, or just return the game.

I don't really like any of these options. So does anyone know if Microsoft is going to do anything about this? Or some other method I haven't tried? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Take it back and get a new one.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same deal here. I found a fix though I think. Set your xbox to start to disk. Settings --> Console Settings --> Startup/Shutdown Is how you get there I think.

Post a reply if it works to see if this is universal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Most likely you are experiencing a disc read error.  Taking the brand new disc back to the store won't solve this issue if that is indeed the problem.  See if you have any issues with other games that you own.  If you have another Xbox (a friend's or family members) see if you can test out your Halo disc there and if it works, it most likely is your disc reader.  I had the same issue once where most games wouldn't read 9/10 times and sending it back to Microsoft solved the problem.  Unfortunately with the technology, this is just something that happens.

So, just to clarify, test to make sure the Halo disc works on other consoles if that is possible.  If not, try other games to see if they read 100% of the time.  If they don't, and you see some disc read errors with other games, enter a service ticket with Microsoft to get your Xbox repaired.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried ytypo123's suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I also tried more of my discs, and made sure to try more of the newest ones, like AC III, and they all work fine. It's just Halo 4 that refuses to read.

Edit: unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a 360 right now, so I can't test that. It's looking like I'll have to send it in if I want to play Halo 4, which is kind of ridiculous... sigh. :/

Sorry this didn't help.

So this is just a crazy question. Does your Halo 4 disk look like it has camo like marks under the plastic? Mine does and I have never seen a CD ever do that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah me to

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it could be a number of things. If your other discs work though it could likely be the Halo 4 disc. Just because it's brand new doesn't mean there couldn't be something wrong with it. Maybe you could try taking it back and getting another copy just to see if that works. If that doesn't, it could be your disc drive going out. I don't know what kind of console you have, but with my old White Xbox, I had that happen to a disc or two. Slowly, but surely, it started doing that to more discs until eventually it couldn't read anything. Sending it in for repair after you've tried a new Halo disc might be a good option for you. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just return the game, try to get a refund. Be prepared to show all the forum entries about the problem, incl Waypoint, where it is stated that the campaign does not work. Many have been removed from this forums, but some persists and new ones are added all the time. Read up on your country´s consumer protection act as well (it is on Wikipedia). You should be entitled to return the game for a full refund, after the seller have tried to fix he problem, i.e. a new disc, which we all know want help at all.

Some retailers believe their terms are valid, despite the laws, but if they really persists, file a complaint with the authority handling consumer matters. That should teach them.

This game was not beta tested, and 343/MS, have not been able to solve the unreadable disc problem for five weeks and counting, so either it is unsolvable, very hard to solve or at a low priority.

I will not wait to find out. Just try to forget all the leisure time you have wasted trying to fix this on your own and be very wary in the future before buying games sold by the people behind this tragic mess. They are not even offering refunds, if retailers refuse to take back the faulty games. Any other business would also have offered compensation for the hassle, but no.

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like everyone is getting bad disks, back to the store it goes....

Sorry this didn't help.

call xbox maybe they can help you

Sorry this didn't help.