Brand new game - Unrecognised disc

Hi, I just got call of duty black ops 2 the game worked fine for the first 30minites. I tried playing it the following day and all my Xbox says is unrecognised disc. All my other games work perfectly fine. I've tried multiple steps to try and resolve this such as cleaning my cache, removing USB/memory units, cleaning the disc, replacing the disc and trying to load the game when disconnected from Xbox live. None of which have worked and I don't think it's my console since other games work fine. What should I do?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

If during gameplay of 'Call of Duty Black Ops 2' and the game crashes with the "Disc Unreadable" error message on either your Xbox360  then there are a few things which you can do to fix the problem.

Solution : Eject the disc and give it a clean, it is unlikely that a DVD or BLU-ray disc would scratch itself past destruction so the error could be with a dirty disc lens or simply dust on the disc itself. Get a dry soft cloth and move away any dust or debris which the 'Call of Duty Black Ops 2' disc may have. If there is a perfect circular scratch running all the way around the disc then this is a Laser Burn and is a common issue with DVD Discs.

Fixing a Laser Burn : A laser burn will cause your game to crash, freeze and not load the game at all. There is no easy solution to fixing a Laser Burn as the mark travels so deep through the disc it often causes permanent damage. You can try taking it to your local game store if they have a disc buffer which will hopefully buff the mark out. If this fails borrow a friends copy of 'Call of Duty Black Ops 2', Install the game, and then try your damaged disc to see if the game will load. If the game loads once it is installed it will not require the disc so much as you play.

If the game does not require a Disc and it runs off a pre installed file which is located on a hard drive  then the fault may lie with a corrupt installation file. To ensure that this is not the case be sure to try and re-install the game or re-download the game and try again. This will clear up any issues which are connected with a bad install.

you can also try another copy just to see if maybe you got a bad copy try exchanging it where you got from.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've tried three of my friends discs on my console, all say the same thing yet work on their consoles. There are no scratches on it either. This meaning I wouldn't be able to instal the game to my hard drive. Is there any more suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

is that the only game it does to?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah all the others are fine

Sorry this didn't help.

Official Response from Activision

[quote]

What do I do if the game crashes, gets a disc read or data error, or is identified as a normal DVD on my Xbox 360?

This may be caused by a faulty game disc, or problems with the Xbox 360.
  • Check the disc for abrasions, scratches, and dust.
  • Ensure the Xbox 360 is in a cool, well ventilated place.
  • Try deleting the game data. This should not affect your saved game as it is stored in a different folder.
  • Try the game on another Xbox 360.  If the same problem occurs on another Xbox 360 then it is an indication that the problem is most likely with the game disc itself.
If none of the above resolves the issue then this may indicate a problem with your Xbox 360 and you will need to contact Xbox Consumer/Technical support at www.xbox.com/support.

NOTE: Activision cannot guarantee functionality on Xbox 360 systems using 3rd party hardware (including, but not exclusive to: Memory Cards, controllers, chips, and cables).

If you have ruled out any issues with your Xbox 360, and have determined that you will need a disc replacement, you can request one by going to http://warranty.activision.com.

[/quote]

Sorry this didn't help.

Same with Halo 4...

Sorry this didn't help.