Bo2 Melee

I read somewhere that they are bringing in a new melee system. Like being able to counter a riot sheilder with a sledge hammer. I also read that it is going to take more than 1 swipe to kill with a knife, but thats besides the point.

What I want to get into is the mechanics of knifing/lunging. How many times have you had someone knife you through a hailfire of smg bullets? Or pounce on you through a 12g blast. My solution is this. Players cannot knife when a certain amount of damage is received or if certain body parts are hit. kind of like how in Gears 2 the chainsaw bayonet lowers when you are being shot.

Comments? Thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Any source on these "I read somewhere" comments?

-

Personally I don't really have a problem with how melee works now. If players had to equip the knife before using it that might cut back on "panic knifing" which seems to be a complaint of many.

Xbox Ambassador | Xbox Forum Moderator | Xbox MVP

I'd like to see something new done to the knife system. Make it so it's instant kill when you come up behind and assassinate someone. But make it so there's different killzones on the body of a person. Just like you get a headshot when you shoot someone in the head. Make it so you get different damage points with the knife. You shouldn't be able to take bullets to the face or anywhere else during a so called lunge. A knife is not more powerful than a gun, so quit trying to make it more powerful. Make it different, but don't make it overpowered where people can just get kills one swipe of the knife.

yeah they need to fix the whole one slice knife kill, if this is true sounds like a step in the right direction

@GameoverViper: Thats exactly what I was thinking.

@Bowski: I think I remember reading it on either "ThetechGame" or "Kotaku".

TTG is the last place I would take anything seriously. Kotaku however is a legit site but links would help.

Xbox Ambassador | Xbox Forum Moderator | Xbox MVP

@Bowski if i can find them i will post them here

[quote user="GameOverViper"]

I'd like to see something new done to the knife system. Make it so it's instant kill when you come up behind and assassinate someone. But make it so there's different killzones on the body of a person. Just like you get a headshot when you shoot someone in the head. Make it so you get different damage points with the knife. You shouldn't be able to take bullets to the face or anywhere else during a so called lunge. A knife is not more powerful than a gun, so quit trying to make it more powerful. Make it different, but don't make it overpowered where people can just get kills one swipe of the knife.

[/quote]

Just to add to my idea a little. I was thinking that combo's could be added into the whole knife method. With a pistol, you could shoot someone once and knife them if close enough. Just as long as the other person who might actually pull the trigger gets the kill while the combo hasn't yet hit him. I hate when someone does the knife lunge and it doesn't register my bullets that are aiming straight for the head don't kill the person. Combo's though could make the knife better balanced and fun to use if done right. I definitely think its time for them to revamp the knife in multiplayer. It hasn't changed one bit since COD4, maybe earlier titles. I just know that it's been the same since COD4. Haven't played the previous titles to COD4 too long or at all to notice.

[/quote]

Just to add to my idea a little. I was thinking that combo's could be added into the whole knife method. With a pistol, you could shoot someone once and knife them if close enough. Just as long as the other person who might actually pull the trigger gets the kill while the combo hasn't yet hit him. I hate when someone does the knife lunge and it doesn't register my bullets that are aiming straight for the head don't kill the person. Combo's though could make the knife better balanced and fun to use if done right. I definitely think its time for them to revamp the knife in multiplayer. It hasn't changed one bit since COD4, maybe earlier titles. I just know that it's been the same since COD4. Haven't played the previous titles to COD4 too long or at all to notice.

[/quote]

IMO Cod4 had perfect knifing. You couldnt lunge unless you were at a respectable range and the animation would go through unlike Waw.

Well, I could do with or without lunging, they could place a perk in for it or not, I don't care. The knife is one of the fast paced aspects that makes Call of Duty Call of Duty, much like higher aim assist,and as much as you may like it or hate it, quick scoping. It keeps the game fast paced. The last thing anyone wants is a slow paced, tactical Call of Duty. Seriously. Want a tactical game, play Arma or something.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

much like higher aim assist,and as much as you may like it or hate it, quick scoping. It keeps the game fast paced.

[/quote]

Using a sniper rifle correctly does not automatically make a game tactical or slow. If it were done right, people wouldn't be able to snipe unless the map was long range anyway. Not as if it takes long to get from point A to wherever the sniper is at point B in a COD map.

-

As for the knife:

-

Combination of a new knife system and the apparent ability to not equip guns to start (not sure if that's a confirmed possibility or a theory based off the new apparently class system) suggests that maybe the knife can be held out.

-

A good system, I think, would be Bad Company 2 style, where you can knife the original way (quick slash/stab with hopefully little lunge) for less than 100% damage or pull the knife out and (unlike BC2) do an instant kill (maybe an animation, maybe not).