blacks ops freezes

at first it was only one map. nuke town. but now its more and more. when one of these maps starts to load i end up with it like 95% done b4 i stop hearing other players. then it slwly loads the rest fot he way on the bar. and just sits there, the little wheel keeps spinning at the end of the bar but it doesnt say loading players or anything. it just sits there spinning. i have to exit the game via the dashboard button and restart. sometimes the game will also say the disc cant be read when i start it up again.now im down to just firing range as the map it doesnt freeze on. altho i whiped the disc clean with a damp cloth i can now play fireing range,jungle,and wmd. but still all the other maps just freeze. also like just now i went to my dashboard menu from the game and went home. it turned my console off. sometimes when the map freezes the whole console freezes aswell. any ideas on how to fix this? preferably soemthign that wont cost me as the console and game were already costly. and i bought them both brand new from the store.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I'm pretty sure that you just have a scratched disk. If it were a problem with the console then you would be having problems with multiple games. You can try buying a solution that can attempt to fix the scratches on the disk but i think your best bet would to just buy a new game.

Also, depending on the age and the wear of the console, your Xbox could just be getting over worked. When the game freezes go and check the temperature of the console. You can usually tell if something is wrong by how hot the area near the hard drive is.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

well the game and the console are both just under 3 months old. also the disc is clean except that ring that the xbox puts on your discs. i know its not from moving the console with a disk in it as thats never happened. not even an inch, its basicly been treated like a fragile 100 y old vase worth mills. plus i heard that the console purposly puts a ring around the edges. and if the console is moved while on u end up with 2 rings makin the disk unplayable. also the ring on mine isnt a full ring also. it goes all the way around but stops from hitting its end by liek an inch

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like the problem is that ring. No, the console doesn't put rings on your disk on purpose as I have had many games that have gotten rings and have been unplayable. The ring would also explain why the game isn't completely unplayable. The only ways that i have found to fix this is to either take the game to a local game store and see if they have something that can fix the ring (although i believe that rings are basically unfixable) or just buy a new copy of the game, since it is Black Ops it shouldn't be too expensive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there rudoku14.

Firstly, have you tried playing other games to see if they crash? This is just too see if it is in fact the Black Ops disc, and not the console itself. Also try installing the game to your hard drive, this may help. On the other hand, you may want to clear your cache. By doing this, you will have to re-update all the updates on your games, however they should not take long. I shall guide you through on how to clear you cache, simply follow these few instructions.

1. Press your guide button on your controller (middle circular button)

2. Scroll across twice, to settings.

3. Then choose the 4th option down 'System Settings'

4. Now, you are on the available options and settings to your console. Select the 3rd option down 'Storage'

5. You will be given the options of 'All devices' 'Hard Drive' and 'Cloud Saved Games' (if you have Cloud) Highlight, 'Hard Drive'

6. Press the 'Y' button, on your controller. Now, you will be given 4 options, select the 3rd option 'Clear System Cache' and then select 'Yes'

If the game, and other games (if other games crash too) are still having this problem, I then suggest taking both your Xbox 360 console back to the store of original purchase, explain to them the problems you are facing and they then should swap it for you. Make sure you take back all details, such as warranty, receipts etc...

P.S make sure your disc tray is not dirty, damaged or scratched

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,

Ryan M (DarkLink 900)

Sorry this didn't help.

Too add on, if you have the laser burn on your disc (ring) you may have too take it to a game store, as some of them have this machine were it swipes a layer of your disc, and it sometimes enables it too work again. However it is not 100% possible it will. But I can say with some confidence, it is most likely the laser burn. My apologies for not adding this on to my previous post. I must of missed you saying it. Good Luck.

Kind Regards,

Ryan M (DarkLink 900)

Sorry this didn't help.

A good thing to do, Install the game to your hard drive, make sure as Darklink said that the game games is not dirty and free from bad scratches and check for laser burn. If the disk seems to be okay, install it to the hard drive. This helped me as I had the same problem :)

Sorry this didn't help.

i cant install it. it gets to like 46% then says it cant be read. i wish i coiuld install. ima have to take it to the local movie rental place and see if they can clean it? is that what i need? or do i need tot ake it somewhere that actaly fixes ot? or does a disk cleaner form a movie store work?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, rudoku14. As others have mentioned it seems as though the issue is related to the disc. It sounds like this is a disc that you rented from a movie rental place. Is that correct? If so, I would recommend taking it back to the establishment and telling them about the issue. They should be able to assist you further with this.

Sorry this didn't help.