Before I get started... I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GAMEPLAY ISSUES people may have. This is purely design choices that have nothing to do with gameplay.
1. Now one of the biggest issues I have currently is the design of the Commendations. At first, I loved them. They gave you a little idea of progress and rewards. But, now after a VERY long time of gaming, they are just designed far too much for the long term. Once you get to Gold... it's pretty insane.
I just got the Any Spree up to Gold. I checked it and for it to get to Onyx... it freaking QUADRUPLES! I mean really. That's an absolutely enormous jump. I'll most likely never hit that goal.
Also, the Commendations aren't varied enough. Give some for each gun or something. Give people reasons to use the entire sandbox of weapons and not solely rely on the DMR. Add some Commendations for Objectives as well! This would make people actually go for it instead of just farming kills.
I mean I'm not one to need my hand held ala Call of Duty and get rewarded for every little thing I do, but it'd be nice to get some sort of reward every 5-20 matches. Like every 300 kills with a certain gun nets you a small cR bonus or whatever. Just more things to achieve and unlock!
So, in summary, for Commendations they need to:
1. Make more varied Commendations. More categories, more levels, etc.
2. Make the Commendations have more "steps" in them. Not just super short to super long term. Make some medium ones.
2. Now, another thing that would be great is to apply Crysis 2's matchmaking/playlist system. They have it set up so you pick Team Slayer (I'll use Halo terms to avoid confusion), but along with that you also get to pick from different types. Solo, Fast Rounds, Normal, Classic, etc.
Basically if you really enjoyed a certain type of game settings (Normal settings or Classic settings) you could pick any playlist and apply those settings to it. Same with Arena. They could have the Arena settings for only certain playlists like Team Snipers, Team SWAT, Team MLG and Team Slayer. Or they could go nuts and have it in Action Sack and Grifball, but I would be against that. Some playlists should just be for fun!
Or you could pick to have no AA's in the playlists as well. Or Elites only. Basically you have the main playlists, and within those playlists you can apply different settings!
3. Obviously, the Armory. This is one thing everyone can agree on. More and varied armor pieces, like gloves and shoes or whatever. Also make the Elites have just as much as the Spartans. Changes to the HUD as well... pretty simple stuff there. I'm sure everyone can agree that more is better in this regard!
4. Finally, another thing everyone can easily agree on is the change of architectures in Forge World. Have more and varied colors and textures. Be able to apply whatever you want to certain pieces (Like a new look, blue colored, wartorn/ragged look, etc.)
With this, another Forge World as DLC would be easily applied. C'mon Bungie, I think they're required to make at least one more DLC pack before all control is passed over to 343i so I would love to see a enormous, amazing Forge World as the perfect send off.
I really hope Halo 4 makes some of the above mentioned changes. It would really reinvigorate the series for me, and possibly many other players who share my views!
Thanks for reading!