BF Multiplayer Questions For Series Noob?

I've been playing the COD series since MW1.  I've been playing Battlefield for a few days now and have some questions.  Please don't turn this into a BF vs COD debate.

#1)  When I get into multiplayer I notice a few things ... There are several classes to choose from which you can customize.  Other than special weapons is there a benefit to choosing one class over another?  This game doesn't do "killstreak rewards" or "perks" right?  Everything is what you see on the classes?

#2)  Whenever I join a game (I've been in about 10 so far) I haven't heard anyone talking.  I don't even hear the random yelling or kid chatter found in COD.  Is it because everyone isn't talking or is there some setting to be able to hear other players in the game?  I find this game extremely difficult in certain modes if the team isn't actually working together as one.

Any advice for this 28 year old noob would be appreciated!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="RH JJRYAN"]

I've been playing the COD series since MW1.  I've been playing Battlefield for a few days now and have some questions.  Please don't turn this into a BF vs COD debate.

#1)  When I get into multiplayer I notice a few things ... There are several classes to choose from which you can customize.  Other than special weapons is there a benefit to choosing one class over another?  This game doesn't do "killstreak rewards" or "perks" right?  Everything is what you see on the classes?

-Yes, each class has its own special ability so to speak.  Assaults use AR, and can hand out med packs, and revive fallen team mates.  Crap against vehicles, but good at medium range.  Engineers use SMGs, and are the ones to go to when you want to destroy vehicles, or repair team mates vehicles.  Anti vehicle class.  Support is what it sounds like, you have an LMG, and can hand out ammo to team mates.  Each class is different, and there are a lot of different unlocks for each class.  No this game doesnt do perks, or KSRs, but there are some specs similar to perks, but vastly different.

#2)  Whenever I join a game (I've been in about 10 so far) I haven't heard anyone talking.  I don't even hear the random yelling or kid chatter found in COD.  Is it because everyone isn't talking or is there some setting to be able to hear other players in the game?  I find this game extremely difficult in certain modes if the team isn't actually working together as one.

-This can be because of party chat, but primarily because you are in a squad, and can only talk to your squad members.  I believe there is full team chat, but im not sure.  

[/quote]

The 4 classes:

ASSAULT - Essentially the medic. You're primary objective is to keep your team squad alive/healthy. Be aware of where teammates are, utilize health packs to help injured teammates, use the defibrilator to revive downed teammates.

-

ENGINEER - This is basically the anti-vehicle class. RPG's and mines are the class specialty (although they can be used on infantry). You always want to be aware of tanks, helicopters, vehicles or enemies behind cover. Remember, never be afraid to pull out that launcher.

-

SUPPORT - Self explanatory. You give out ammo in the same way assault gives out health. Make sure to keep your teammates full on ammo when pushing ahead. You can also unlock C4 and mortar which are good for taking down vehicles and providing help from a distance. It's a good all around class.

-

RECON - This is the 1st choice of the usual noob. It's a class that is really best used by experienced or aggressive players. Spawn points are used to keep your squad advanced upward, as well as support items like the motion sensor and SOFLAM (helps take down enemy vehicles for your team).  Not many truly understand the role of this class, it is NOT meant to rack up huge kill totals.

-

A lot of people go into party chat in squads. Go to your squad menu, at the bottom you can set the voice chat from SQUAD to TEAM. Team will let you talk to everyone..squad is just the 3 other guys (max) in your specific squad.

1) The classes have different capabilities and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. All are designed to assist the team. For example, I like to play the medic class because you can drop medic packs that heal your team mates and you get points for this. You can also revive fallen comrades and this helps the team overall by helping to keep the amount of reinforcements the team can have down. However, the medic is useless against armoured vehicles so if there is one knocking your guys out you can respawn as an engineer complete with an RPG......As you progress, you unlock more weapons and gadgets. Most squads try and complement each other. If all my guys are playing support or assault, I try and play as a medic so if they die I can revive them....

2) I think the party chat has killed the talking to a certain limit online with all games now. My mates and myself are often in party chat. We try and form squads in the game too.

Two big tips....1)if playing in a squad and the rest die make sure you stay alive so they can spawn on you AND 2) 'spot' all enemies (use the back button when lokking at them).....this alerts others to the enemies and you get points too if they get killed....

Hope this helps....?!

Ok, Thanks.  This gives me a little more info (especially the class descriptions).  I'll give this a go again later tonight before I throw in the towel on it.  I appreciate the advice!

[quote user="RH JJRYAN"]

[/quote]

1. It depends on what the other players in your squad are using. If you are playing on a map where vehicle gameplay is focused on. You may want to use the Engineer class. Since this class all the tools to take out vehicles. If you are playing mainly TDM, you may want to stick with Assault/Support classes. Since these have the Med packs/Defib units and ammo packs. And last the only real "perks" are the specializations that all players have. If you are playing with a group of friends,  I would not choose the same as another person in the squad. This really only comes into play when you unlock the Squad specializations, since they help out everyone in your squad.

2. This has been fairly common for all Battlefield games. A lot of people don't use their mics or are in party chat. Also, since you can use the select button to ask for med packs/ammo boxes/repair my vehicle. Most people don't use their mics. Also, the select button is useful in "spotting" the other team. If you have seen the orange triangle above some player on the other team. Someone on you team has done this. Also, if you are the squad leader you can use the select button to give you squad orders to attack/defend an objective.

Here is one video about Battlefield. I know it is about Bad Company 2. But some of the stuff in the video still applies for BF3.

Also be on the lookout for the BF3 How not to be a Noob video from Pixel Enemy.

Also, you can switch between squad chat and team chat in the Squads&Team menu. It is located at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks again!  If anyone is looking for people to play with feel free to add me.  My clan of adults tends to just play COD so I don't really have a clan or group to play this with yet.  Thanks again for all the advice.  I'll refer back to this tonight when I give it another go.

Don't let anyone tell you this game does not have Perks in it. It DOES!

You can also pick up the kits that enemies & teammates drop, so if you are an Assault but you really need to be another kit, rather than waiting till you die you can pick up theirs and use it instead.

-

Very helpful if you pick up different kits and use their gear then switch back to your own, maybe pick up an Assault kit and throw out a med pack and so on.....

A quick guide from IGN to get those new to BF started  It may not be the most detailed guide you will find but it can answer a few questions some may have.